Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Last year I bought a Dewalt DW735 planer to replace my Delta 22-580 13” planer.  The Dewalt has been my mainstay and I’m very happy with it but the Delta has been sitting in the corner collecting dust.  I stuck it there using the excuse that I have a backup but truth be known it really needs to find a new home. What do you think the fair market value for the Delta is?

1 hour ago, Gunny said:

Selling it online produces the question, how much to ship?   Planers are rare to see on CL here in Atlanta and usually very close to full price for a newer one.  OR, so hot that they make Chernobyl look like a frozen lake.  :D

At 95 pounds, shipping is out of the question.  

You don't know how tempging it is for me to buy one of these things.   Is this the one you were referancing @Gene Howe https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-15-Amp-13-in-Portable-Thickness-Planer-22-555/205404458

Happen to look it up.  How ever that will have to wait some time before I even consider getting one.  Gotta get the shop built first. 

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

You don't know how tempging it is for me to buy one of these things.   Is this the one you were referancing @Gene Howe https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-15-Amp-13-in-Portable-Thickness-Planer-22-555/205404458

Happen to look it up.  How ever that will have to wait some time before I even consider getting one.  Gotta get the shop built first. 

The 22-555 is the replacement for the 22-580.

Sometimes I hear things like folks getting unlucky when ordering tools.  I've bought things from harbor freight "IN PERSON" and had plenty of luck.  But not too sure with other places.  I was looking at several of the other planers as well.   I usually try to stay on the lesser expensive side of equipment usually.  But the Delta is still definitely tempting.  Seems rather small for a planer though.

6 minutes ago, Cal said:

Hey Ron, not to change the subject - but how do the two planers compare?

I have the Delta 22-580 and I have been very pleased with it.

Well, the Delta has been a workhorse and never let me down. I’ve replaced both feed rollers and run thousands of bf if lumber through it.  The Dewalt is a nice, nice machine.  Because it has three blades instead of two, it cuts a little smoother.  The Dewalt has one feature that Bumps it ahead of the Delta.  It has an adjustable cutter head stop that is adjustable down to 1/4” and it is accurate time and time again.  So, probably I’d have to say the Dewalt by a shaving.