Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

Rate this topic

This is in response to Gene volunteering sharing information about these beautiful boxes.  I hope those of you who have tried them, can post some information of tips and cautions.  Also, I hope that those who don't have the experience can and will post questions regarding them.  Here is a link to the book with the patterns in the back.  She does make the request to not make them for sale.  

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Beautiful-Bandsaw-Ventura-2000-12-02/dp/B01K9139SE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=9W51DP6E3O6N&dchild=1&keywords=lois+keener+ventura&qid=1589760262&sprefix=Lois+Keener%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-1

The patterns are in the back of the book.  They are on graph paper but shrunk to fit into the book.  So, take them to the copy store and enlarge them so that the blocks are 1" square.  Then you can trace these onto the laminated or chunk of wood.  

Gene, I can hardly wait to see what you and AlB post regarding your experiences.  

Gene, when I did that Lotus, I did all my sanding before assembly.  I assembled the 2 pieces of onto the pecan base with McFeely screws.  Of course, I made sure that the dry fit was all tight and looked good.  

My avatar is one of those boxes and solid cedar.  I have another one over on Shopsmith forums.  

image.png.4e021cf9180cadf327c75030635a235c.png

Then a side view and the holes where the worms ate to kill the tree.  

image.png.3c10c75fc5a5af6e4aea697ddc0586f2.png

I had to add some cedar to make it the 6" from front to back.  But, the dogwood is very beautiful to me.  This is the first time I ever worked with dogwood.  

image.png.6dd0a9bae4e2d453c07e07b503765163.png

The bottom reveals some story board.  Unconventional, I know, but complete history.

Gene, you did an awesome job on yours.  What woods did you use?  I see the base is different from the posts and the drawer facings are different.  Or, did you simply stain it the different colors?  

Edited by FlGatorwood

20 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I widened the distance between the stalks to make it easier to sand. LOTS of sanding.

1991572756_331767-438x(2).jpg.3eef311e962c5ea859ec088380e3799e.jpg

This is probably the only one of Lois Keener Ventura's designs that I never attempted. Gene did a masterful job with his version. Bandsaw boxes do require a bit of time sanding, and this box has to be unbelievably time consuming hand sanding  the separate drawers and getting between them  I am in awe of what Gene accomplished here.

Is there anyone here who does not know what flocking is?  There is a pump gun like the old sprayers we used to have for spraying for bugs and flies in the house or spray poisons on the vegetables in the garden.  You fill part of the gun with the powder of felt like material that you want to be inside the drawer or box.  Before spraying, you apply a particular glue and allow it to dry to a tack. Then you spray the glue areas with the powder felt and it sticks.  After it drys some, you can dump out the excess.  You can use a small brush to clean up some, but you want to be very careful that you don't go through the flocking that you intend to keep as the drawer liner.  Here is a link:  

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I hand sand and file inside the drawers. I cut strips of wood from paint sticks and glue sandpaper to sand flat surfaces, and wrap sandpaper around dowels for the curved corners in the drawers. This was the method I had used in model building. Flocking is my preferred draw finishing method because of the ease of using it, but felt probably does provide a more classic look. The spindle sander works well for the curved surfaces around and in the box body. Obviously, you want minimal sanding on the drawer openings and exterior of the drawers to prevent large gaps around the drawers. 

I cheat, Al. If necessary, I make separate drawer fronts to conform to the opening.