Some of them use a small counterweight to cause the weight and circle to wander out of the perfect orbit.  It is possible that it is stuck and needs to be free.  As Lew suggested, maybe some pressured air.  If you can see in the air slot clearly, you may be able to use an awl.  Please ensure that it is unplugged while doing this.  If there is no weight, then I would not poke around in it.  

1 hour ago, PeteM said:

I have a 1/4 sheet random orbit sander, now 3 years old, been working fine.  Went to use it today, and it just jumps all over the place, eventually tearing the paper off.  Since it was fine two days ago, this is puzzling. 

Did you change the paper?  Mine did this and when I went to change the paper I found a sliver of wood had gotten under the paper on one edge.

Take the pad off of the bottom and look at the oscillating mechanism.  I have torn my Porter Cable ROS down a couple of times and replaced the bearing in the unit that give the oscillating motion.  When the bearing locks up it will jump.  A 6204 sealed bearing as I recall.