December 14, 20196 yr Popular Post comment_212274 3 more ornaments. 2 are made of colored ply that I cut and reglued. Also used the new finish with UV light drying. I like that finish a lot. I use a small brush to apply and then after 3 minutes of UV light on all surfaces, I then use 400 sandpaper until it is as I want it and apply clear spray. I'm sure you can see some areas where I am still learning(still playing) The one on the right has multi colors because it is a spalted maple piece. They passed the critical inspection (wife) Mama is happy...........so is pappy Edited December 14, 20196 yr by Ron Altier Report
December 14, 20196 yr comment_212284 Very creative, they look fantastic. Plus they passed the critical inspection!! Report
December 14, 20196 yr comment_212288 They’re beautiful, can’t imagine them NOT passing inspection. Report
December 14, 20196 yr comment_212396 A question of curiosity. Does the plywood chip or is it made from really good wood? Report
December 14, 20196 yr Author comment_212400 Does the plywood chip or is it made from really good wood? That was my first thought too. I use carbide tools and was surprised at how well the wood held together. I do resort to conventional sharp tools when I see an area that may chip out. None has done it so far, at least done it where I can't recut and fix. Two things that can cause a problem, the dye is water soluble and sanding bleed can discolor. I try workarounds to hide it. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.