Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Danl

Full size template/pattern

Rate this topic

Recently, I was wanting to make a few templates to make a rocking dinosaur from a illustration I saw in a book (Jeff Miller, Children's Furniture Projects).  The following is my approach to obtain full size templates.  Danl

1)  Scan illustration using home computer and file scan in JPG format.

2)  Import JPG file into Sketchup.  Position imported object into one of the standard views (front, back, top bottom, left, or right)

3)  Draw over the the object you want to make a template for.  Make each piece a component and make the entire dwg a component.

4)  Hide original imported object.

5)  Scale entire component to obtain desired size.

5)  Using Sketchup, print 1:1 

This method allow you to estore the master copy and to have thin object lines to use when sawing/sanding.  I still need to tape the printed sheets together and adhere to template material.

JPG imported into Sketchup.

002.jpg.b49e0d061a7dc97d8f3e48741ec412aa.jpg

Drawing complete.

1839665536_Dinosaurpattern-2.jpg.c7322dedd2e92fd9d1cb76cb0f4c54d9.jpg

Drawing printed 1:1 scale

065.JPG.4f9f7ed4095673dc6979b51339af8c45.JPG

If you had Rapid Resizer and a cheap printer it will print out the size you are building but it also has lines on the paper to show where to cut with scissors so each page will fit and over lap so you can apply the clear tape. In case you didn't know since you asked about Resizer!  I do this all the time building my clocks and it is easier than what looks like you are fixing to find out..

50 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

If you had Rapid Resizer and a cheap printer it will print out the size you are building but it also has lines on the paper to show where to cut with scissors so each page will fit and over lap so you can apply the clear tape. In case you didn't know since you asked about Resizer!  I do this all the time building my clocks and it is easier than what looks like you are fixing to find out..

I spent all my $ on the printer, so no $ for Rapid Resizer.  LOL.  BUT, I have 3D capability.  More to follow, I hope.   Danl

1995697531_Dinosaurpattern-2-2.jpg.bd36d9aed742aa752c09ebeb6ec2d731.jpg

I, uh, borrow ideas all the time from the web.  BTW, to get the best (straight on) image, have a look at the object installation instructions if you can get them on line.  Whereas the sales images (e.g., on Amazon) are often color and presented at an angle (goofs up dimensions and square edges), the installation drawings are more often square-on views.

You can capture and print a pattern using Word and Excel (and I suppose equivalent Mac apps). 

--Find the object you want to copy on a web page.

--Enlarge the page to maximize the size of the shape

--Use the Ctrl+PrtScrn (printscreen) keys to put the image into memory

--Open the Word (Excel) document, Paste

--Inside Word/E, right click to bring up "Size" window, crop with the Left/Top/Right/Bottom buttons until the desired object is extracted

--Adjust page margins to zero (will ease piecing papers)

--Adjust (Size window) object scale size

--Once you figure out where the page breaks are, you can insert markers/graphics at the page boundaries to make re-piecing easier

--print

Alternate:  drop the file onto a thumbdrive (after cropping and sizing) and take it to a print shop or UPS or Office Max, etc.  They have large bed printers and for a black/white output you only pay a few bucks for a copy.  The attendants there usually know how to size the print to what you need, but it might take a couple tries.