Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Gerald

Fixin the BLOWUP

Rate this topic

Had a great fourth and created my own fireworks. I lighted the grill and went inside. After getting comfortable the grill blew. What a shock and LOUD. So I get the tear out done. Think the grill could be fixed but it is over 15 years old and the wife would never be comfortable. The grill was bricked into the fireplace so had to take it apart to get it out.IMG_3832.JPG.9a301c415f0e4f395d6bb66dcd00adf6.JPG

This is a well before ....so ok could not find the summer pics.

IMG_3397.JPG.3a6014795c79b10b2eb77a70a881c158.JPGNow that is the hole after removal.

IMG_3398.JPG.d1baeb0b9b8f6c129f4a115845619e3f.JPG  And this is what the grill looks like now.

Now I need some help.  Trying to keep the walls surrounding the old grill . Oh SWMBO wants a smoker grill now and it won't be built in. Want to cover the rough bricks inside and am looking for ideas or how to.

Thought maybe stucco but dosen't that need a flat surface. Or what about hardy board? Ok I am out of ideas.

Says the limit good sir. I would say for now just Mae it match the opposite side as another cubby for fire wood. The brick work is not hard and there is not much to do so you could take your time. A lot of resources available on youtube and what not to help you learn to lay brick. just need a brick trowel, corner block, some string and a level. Gets your mortar and enjoy your time with a nice drink and your favorite tunes or podcast. It really is fun work, wen you don't have to make a living at it that is. Any questions just give me a shout.. mountainman417@gmail.com. my father and uncle have been doing masonry for 40+ years and I have absorbed a few things over the years.

Good Luck and God bless

Patrick Parker

Bydand

The space is where the new grill , much smaller , will sit. Not  sure if I will need to remove the L piece of the wall to the left yet , have to measure the new grill still in box.

What I was wondering based on what @HandyDan said is:

The brick they used is not smooth on the back so does it need to be smooth?

Could I use treated studs and mount Hardy board?

Had not thought of cutoffs but this is to cover  or line the brick so it is presentable. But I will remember that for the area the grill does not cover.

Got to go to the shop and put the grill together. Maybe she will cook in next day or two as it cools down to 90.

Edited by Gerald