Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Chris Bush

Duro Band Saw restoration project

Rate this topic

I inherited this beauty from my uncle, who inherited it from my grandfather, who I believe bought it new. 

All i know of it so far is it is a Duro desktop band saw.  I am planning to do a total restoration on it, and need some advice on how to approach prepping the cover for primer and paint.

I may have access to a soda blaster to gently remove the small amount of paint, and surfact corrosion, but if not i need to know how to properly removed the age without damageing the cast iron.

I want to return make this back into a working piece, and so will be doing a full disasemble and repair/replacment of needed parts.

Does anyone know of a parts guide or owners manual that may exist for these old units? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20190611_144231.jpg

Welcome aboard Chris, glad to have you here - and posting up pics to boot!

Can't help you with the saw, but hopefully @Larry Buskirk might chime in with some info.

If that cover is cast iron, I would think a regular sandblaster would be fine.  How much does that thing weigh?

When you talk about a restoration, do you mean original type and color of paint and all?

Hi Chris,

Welcome to The Patriot Woodworker. :D

Your Duro Band saw dates from the late 1940's to early 1950's.

I found a few pieces of literature, but will need a bit more information to give you links to what I found.

There were a few models (sizes) of this style saw available ranging from a 9", 10", and also a 15".

So if you could measure from the rear arm to the blade so I know what size the saw is, I'll post the proper links that I managed to locate. If you could also provide a photo of the back side of the saw I'll be able to tell if this might be a wood/metal saw.

I believe the covers are made of Zamak which is a pot metal alloy that would not take sandblasting, a better approach might be to use paint stripper.

Cal,  It weighs a good bit, i would estimate around 40-50 LBS and is not quite waist height.  Quite a compact piece of machinery.

I would really love to restore it to original colors and put it in my garage shop.  Because it was my grandfathers, i really want to make it whole again, and i also love the art-deco style details on it.

I think it could be quite beautiful when finished.

Thank you Larry!  I will get the measurements and pictures this evening after work and get them uploaded.  I appreciate your advice on the stripper rather than sandblasting.  I dont want to do anything that would risk marring the finish.