Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Smallpatch

Finishing the map of the states

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Smallpatch -
PeteM -

Top Posters

Looking good here. I think they call that part the UP. Like the white on that northwest state, looks like mountains. Guess you will be doing topographical next.

Yep Gerald. White to warn people if they might be thinking of moving up there to ruff it...and the mountains of snow...I'm always bitching when it gets down to 50.

To save labor, a person can make two maps at the same time if they use 1/4" BB. And when I just cut one 1/4" board it wants to start cutting before I am ready.

Lew the mountains are from a tube of acrylic paint like I used on the red bird carving picture I did here while back… I guess I should have put the mountains where they actually are but that would have been more work...besides I ran out before I got them very tall.

14 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Funny about the Russians for I just read where some of their security cameras can see you if you are within 28 miles of the camera...

Yet, on the news you see security camera photos of wanted criminals caught in the act and I'm like, "I think that might be a man, with a hat, maybe a beard-maybe a shadow, somewhere between 18 and 60 years old, and a black t-shirt.   That's about all I can make out.

22 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

and so I am afraid there ain't enough gap left for small girls and boys as they attempt to put the pieces in to the puzzle...

That's a beautiful map/puzzle.  Keep in mind that if you wanted to loosen the fit a little bit, sanding on the straight sides of some the shapes would allow cumulative spacing for all the pieces across the map.  Even WVa!

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

Yet, on the news you see security camera photos of wanted criminals caught in the act and I'm like, "I think that might be a man, with a hat, maybe a beard-maybe a shadow, somewhere between 18 and 60 years old, and a black t-shirt.   That's about all I can make out.

Yeah, that could be my BIL...or his aunt. 

Cal the young gun next door is 4.  Then I have some great grand kids about the same ages or older and maybe they will find these puzzles interesting enough to want to learn before they start to school.

Keith there are better security cameras out there but seems like in the past businesses thought their areas not having much crime spending that much on the cameras were a waste of money...then there are people who yell those cameras are invading my privacy. Well duh,,,,, if you are not doing anything illegal don't give them a thought...…. except to smile at them and think they are there to keep you safer......  

PeteM that sounds like a common sense thought but thanks I already did just that and now they fall out easily.. I can see lots of broken pieces if things won't come apart without fighting it.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:45 PM, Smallpatch said:

Funny about the Russians for I just read where some of their security cameras can see you if you are within 28 miles of the camera...

Watch the movie Patriot Games. In it they showed some hitech satellite spy stuff that was not sci fi at the time of the movie. I think I have heard that we can see the sunglasses on the beach in California from the satellites and that is 22 miles.

21 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

now they fall out easily.. I can see lots of broken pieces if things won't come apart without fighting it.

In my experience (g-kid #4 is on the way), Youth uses such puzzles in two ways:  the younger ones take the assembled puzzle and dump it on the living room floor, the object being to spread the pieces far and wide.  Then, game over; mom cleans up.  Older, they're too sophisticated to bother with such things, and it sits on a shelf under piles of other discarded toys.  There is a brief in-between age transition, maybe a month, where they actually put it together.

However, despair not.  They remember the effort you made and you get full credit for it.  A little smile comes to their face when they dump it in the Goodwill bin.  And the tree was happy.