Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Bob Hodge -
Gerald -

Top Posters

I have an opportunity to buy a good used Teknatool Nova 1624 II for about $600. New, I believe, is about $1200 yet I see some reviews that said they were about $850 a couple of years ago.    This is belt driven, 8 speeds.  The DVR is all electronic, but it costs about $600 to $1000 more, depending on where you are starting.

Currently, I am overdriving my midi lathe to make 12 inch bowls from some heavy woods.  I would like to get into bowl making up to 18 inches and the outboard feature of this Nova would accommodate that. 

The Nova is described as an entry level lathe.  I'm sure I would appreciate the electronic, digital speed motor, but I must weigh the cost of it. 

1. What is missing from that to a more advanced lathe besides the electronic, direct drive motor? 

2.  The outrigger, outboard feature would allow for larger bowls, but no tailstock.  Is that really feasible? Safe?

Thanks for the wisdom.  

I’m in the same boat when it comes to over driving the lathe. My Delta Reeves drive is just about shot and stalls out with max size bowls. When I replace the lathe, I’m going to get electronic speed control type so I can dial the speed down to really low RPM’s for sanding and finishing. Having a reverse option would also be really nice for sanding, too. To me, those are two really important options. 

Outboard turning doesn’t use the tail stock but you may want to consider a floor stand type tool rest instead of the banjo extension. 

Don't think Artie has gotten into turning yet, but his Shopsmith utilizes the Teknatool technology. Not sure but, I think they get their motors from Teknatool. I've used a friend's and the features are amazing. I can see where a lathe would most definitely benefit. 

I'll stick with line-shafts, and jack-shafts. 

I have a curiousity about turning. No projects in mind, just seems cool to take a square piece of wood, and make it round, with different shapes/grooves/lines in it. Am thinking about getting some turning tools, just to kick the tires, as they say. I’ve heard the Shopsmith set is actually a pretty good value.

1 hour ago, Artie said:

I have a curiousity about turning. No projects in mind, just seems cool to take a square piece of wood, and make it round, with different shapes/grooves/lines in it. Am thinking about getting some turning tools, just to kick the tires, as they say. I’ve heard the Shopsmith set is actually a pretty good value.

They are an excellent value. But, can you sharpen them? I'd give Easy Wood Tools a shot. they are one of our sponsors.

6 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

They are an excellent value. But, can you sharpen them? I'd give Easy Wood Tools a shot. they are one of our sponsors.

The Easy Wood Tools are a super choice for starting out. Very shallow learning curve and no sharpening 

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I had been thinking about getting the SS sharpening kit with them. I will take a gander at the Easy Wood Tools (when I leave here :) )

Bob to answer your questions somewhat:

1. What is missing?    Well Novas are moderately light in weight and "more advanced lathes" are heaver and allow turning more out of balance logs easier. Also the Nova is a belt drive but electronic control motor. The Nova only has a low speed of 214 rpm where as larger lathes such as PM 3520B is under 50. Nova is considered a compact lathe. Not knocking the Nova just the difference to a larger lathe.

2. "turning bowls without a tailstock, is it possible" yes it is possible. You would need to mount wood on a faceplate . Turning outboard is a whole other animal in my book and will give you more vibration and more reason to be careful.

Again just answering your questions and not passing judgement on the lathe which I saw at the symposium and looks nice and runs smooth.