Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

CharlieL -

Top Posters

Currently I have a older 3 wheel Craftsman benchtop BS as my 2nd saw to do curved work with.  Been considering upgrading to a Rikon 10-305.  Check the site and did not find anything that came up on a search.  Was wondering if anyone had experience or maybe some other suggestions for a benchtop bandsaw.  Already have a nice JET 14 inch for resawing and such, this is just for all other things.

https://www.amazon.com/Rikon-10-305-Bandsaw-Fence-10-Inch/dp/B0032YZB2S

1694478926_Rikon10-305.jpg.f4ff763f6ffba2d1c5dca1435e0ccfa9.jpg         191443287_3wheelcraftsman.jpg.d5d21b904ef7df28334b5909dc56675e.jpg

No experience with it but Rikon makes a good saw.  I have a Rikon made Craftsman and like it a lot.  Just so you know there is an updated version out now.  The Rikon 10-306.

No personal experience with the Rikon, but lots of experience with your current bench-top. I've got the exact model; handy for small jobs but would be nice to have a fence.

As for the Rikon, I've looked at them and read a number of reviews. The only, close to negative comment I recall is it does not come with a miter gauge; had to be purchased separate. IDK if that's still true or not. Performance wise, all comments were favorable to very favorable. IF, I was upgrading a bench-top, I would certainly consider it high on the list.

Not to cloud the issue, but I've also read good reviews on the Wen 10. IIRC @Dadio bought one of these a while back?  WEN 10" 2spd BS @HD

Woodcraft will have a 15% Off Sale on Rikon tools later this month (15th-24th).

image.png.9aaa50feb753b79fb0c44f28b0306446.png 

My Cousin bought the Rikon and really likes it. I bought the Wen and really like it we bought both at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Rikon-10-305-Bandsaw-Fence-10-Inch/dp/B0032YZB2S

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3962-Two-Speed-Stand-Worklight/dp/B016VD8GAA

Herb

I had also seen the WEN model and wondered about it.  The borg has it for $249 currently, just have to order it and wait a few days.  Then I saw for $50 more the Rikon was available and wondered which might work out better.

12 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Just so you know there is an updated version out now.  The Rikon 10-306.

Thanks, checked and Highland Woodworking near my work has one for $349.  They upgraded fence and a few other things.  May have to go down and take a look. 

Following up on this thread I purchased the 10-305 model from Highland Woodworking for $229.99.  Have not used much yet other than to set up and do few test cuts.  So far am happy with the performance, packing and ease of set-up.  Just have to set up DC to it this week, well maybe..:)

IMG_20190313_205748971.jpg.84fc5a0b80c4793ae0412b27dae78e63.jpg   IMG_20190313_205756810.jpg.a8da73afb8af410a1e84e4b0936d1a8e.jpg

12 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Following up on this thread I purchased the 10-305 model from Highland Woodworking for $229.99.  Have not used much yet other than to set up and do few test cuts.  So far am happy with the performance, packing and ease of set-up.  Just have to set up DC to it this week, well maybe..:)

IMG_20190313_205748971.jpg.84fc5a0b80c4793ae0412b27dae78e63.jpg   IMG_20190313_205756810.jpg.a8da73afb8af410a1e84e4b0936d1a8e.jpg

I set up the DC to mine Wen and it does a good job of collecting in the lower unit, but still get quite some sawdust on top when cutting. The Rikon and Wen are very similar units.

Herb

10 hours ago, Dadio said:

The Rikon and Wen are very similar units.

I saw that in side by side comparisons.  Only thing I have noticed thus far is the DC port is slightly oversized for a hose connector.  Minor problem, tape fixes that easy enough.  

Right now I have a Delta 28-185 eight inch band saw. I've had it quite a few years since I bought it new. It's been a good saw, no complaints and really don't need to be in a rush to replace it. It is still in very nice condition with the fence and miter gauge. With the 10-305 I wouldn't be gaining much, about 2" of throat capacity, a 1/3 hp motor instead of the Delta 1/5 hp, and I'd be losing a quick blade release with the 10-305. I gave a offer on a used 10-305 that went up for sale locally. I see that it is gone now. Looking at a new 10-306 now and waiting for one to go on sale at a decent price. I've looked at the supposedly comparable, and more reasonably priced WEN's, but I'm not sure that the quality is there after reading a few reviews. But then again, most everything in this country nowadays is a cheaply made import. I had to laugh, one guy that reviewed the WEN 3962 and gave it a low rating said that he couldn't figure out how to change the speed, and that maybe he overlooked a switch. 

Edited by CharlieL

19 hours ago, CharlieL said:

that reviewed the WEN 3962 and gave it a low rating said that he couldn't figure out how to change the speed, and that maybe he overlooked a switch. 

Because directions and owners manuals are just crap to throw in the fire.  :Laughing:

When I was at Highland Woodworking I ASKED the salesman how to change the speed.  He grinned and opened lower cabinet and showed me the lower belt pulley.  

Have used a 14' Rikon for many years----really like this tool. I paired it with a 

Carter blade backup accessory---- don't use any blade guides, top or below the table----works very well with 1/4th blade or 1/8th . Sharp blade, as always is critical to top performance.

17 hours ago, CharlieL said:

Unfortunately today I've come to the conclusion that I will be keeping the 8" Delta 28-185 bandsaw, and not buying a 10" Rikon 10-306.

Curious, was it just budget or did you not like the unit itself, no real, need to upgrade?

I have a short list of tools I would LIKE to add to my inventory.  Looking through CL and asking people if they know someone has produced some good finds in the past few years.  BUT, some items like the bandsaw I could not find at a price or condition that I could justify verses buying new.  A lot of finding a tool in such manner is based on the market you live in so some things are just not to be found at much less than new price.  

Like many I have champagne tastes.  Problem is I have a beer budget.:Laughing:

2 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Curious, was it just budget or did you not like the unit itself, no real, need to upgrade?

Budget, and health. I like the features of the saw. 

Edited by CharlieL

3 minutes ago, CharlieL said:

Budget

I can relate.  Sorry about health though.

3 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

I can relate.  Sorry about health though.

Thankyou, the last couple of years have been a nightmare. It certainly makes me think differently about quite a few things.

Edited by CharlieL