Re-pointing mortar joints

FlGatorwood

This concrete block house is 70 years old and little cracks that developed some years ago are now larger.  I don't want the rain to get in so I plan to re-point all the cracks.  First, I want to remove all the cracked mortar joints.  Some folks say to chisel it out.  I prefer to grind it out with a grinder or with my Fein oscillating tool.  I would like experienced input and opinions.  Does anyone know which is better?  I think I can do the pointing ok.  While chiseling, I don't want to weaken the inside mortar and have it crack open also.  Thanks for sharing your opinions and experience.  

11 minutes ago, Roly said:

This is a good place for a cheap HF angle grinder with a masonry blade.  The dust will eat up a angle grinder (and you)  Wear eye protection and dust mask.

I have done this and for me it was easy enough to do, no cracks produced in doing so.  Nice clean surface to work with when done.  So far no issues with it.  

Angle grinder.  A masonry supply company will have the correct blades (thick to clean the joint).  This will be real dusty....there are shrouds for angle grinders that will direct the dust and a special shop vac will also help.  If you have an assistant they could hold a homemade (plastic bottle) dust shroud on the end of a shop vac hose.  Get the right shop vac filters.

OK, it seems that we all have like minds.  We prefer a rotary tool over hammer and chisel.  

And, just for Stick, I will get pictures of what caused all this ruckus.  And, I will show what I have already chiseled out.  I did purchase some of this to start my repairs.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-Zip-and-Mix-FastSet-Repair-Mortar/3472653

It's going to be a couple of days after this rain deluge has passed over.  Thank all of you for your help.  

Edited by FlGatorwood
left out a word

On 2/28/2019 at 7:55 AM, JIMMIEM said:

@FlGatorwood,

If there is a possibility that you will have an audience then a muscle shirt, paper bag hat, mortar hawk, and tuck pointing tool would project a better image than a cake decorating bag. 

Jim, you are absolutely right.  Have to look the part just in case the local TV film crews show up.  :D

4 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

The lime is sounding tasty.  May have to give that a try only it is doesn't set up in the gut.  :Laughing:

A prune juice chaser will take care of any potential set up problems.  If you're using a quick set mortar then warm the prune juice in the microwave.