Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

HandyDan -
Grandpadave52 -

Top Posters

When you are scrolling do you always use a foot switch.  I am adding a foot switch to my scroll saw and wonder if I should wire it to use every time or make it so it can be plugged in when I want to use it.

Edited by HandyDan

I'm not a scroller but I would wire one so it would be used every time. That way you would develop the habit of using it and not have to think about it.

Dan,

When I get back to my old machines I'll be using a foot switch that is forward/reverse capable.

I'll be using the same motor to power my drill press, scroll saw, band saw, lathe, and whatever else I can fit on the same bench. 

I started out using a foot switch on the scroll saw when I bought it is 99 but I switched it over to the drill press after a few months or less and its better there.. The switch on the Dewalt is very close anyway and with me moving around a lot changing blades getting in and out of my chair I could never locate the switch on the floor... 

I also think if a person uses the stand Dewalt offers he ain't gonna develop into a scroll saw user..especially if he stands all day long as it will make the day longer!

The arm hold up attachment is more better and will save time! And Dan you can build one of them if u are using a Dewalt...

Are you going to have electric clutches so you can turn off the machines that don't need to be running otherwise that's going to be lots of noise to put up with plus all that extra running time on all the machines will help wear them out un-necessary.

Thanks all.  I direct wired a foot switch onto the saw.  I was leaning that way when I asked.  I have a couple foot switches that I move around a few other machines like the drill press but thought the scroll saw would be best with a full time switch and I had the perfect one for it.

Nothing that exotic/expensive.

All of my machines are belt drive.

The motor mounts to the base of the drill press.

From there a belt will supply power to a line-shaft/pulley arraignment. 

The other machines will be ran from the line-shaft/pulleys.

It's just a matter of slipping belts on/off the pulleys.

The foot switch I'll be using has forward/reverse.

The reverse feature will be used mainly for the drill press, and lathe.

The main reason for using the foot switch is so that I can move it to the machine I'm using at the time.

On 10/26/2018 at 10:54 AM, Smallpatch said:

I started out using a foot switch on the scroll saw when I bought it is 99 but I switched it over to the drill press after a few months or less and its better there.. The switch on the Dewalt is very close anyway and with me moving around a lot changing blades getting in and out of my chair I could never locate the switch on the floor... 

I also think if a person uses the stand Dewalt offers he ain't gonna develop into a scroll saw user..especially if he stands all day long as it will make the day longer!

The arm hold up attachment is more better and will save time! And Dan you can build one of them if u are using a Dewalt...

I have my Delta on the stand. The back leg is adjusted higher than the two front legs This tilts the table down and makes it much easier to see. I sit on a bar stool height seat and it is very comfortable. Sometimes I do stand, but usually I sit...switching and moving around is better for you anyway. The rheostat pedal can be used on the floor, or if I'm sitting down I can place it on the cross brace for the stand. Options are always a good thing.

With the table tilted down it is much easier to see the lines and the blade. What you can't see in the first photo above is the LED light with the magnifier on the goose neck. Although, I'm thinking of getting one of the bigger magnifying lights and separate it from the saw. There is just a little too much vibration and the small mag. lens jumps around a little excessively for my preference.

56 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

There's a foot switch on my table router. Very handy. Thinking about one for the dremel and Foredom. HF has them for around $15. I could use another flashlight.^_^

Go Harbor freight!!!

@Smallpatch  DO you use a pedal switch on the Dremel too?

Herb