Turning chisels.

hawkeye10

I have been looking online trying to find some chisels that I don't have to pay too much for. That is no easy task. Sorby has a set with one handle and you install the cutters in the handle as needed. I am sure most of you have seen them. The price isn't to bad for these, I think about $150 for three cutters and a handle. I think I can resharpen them to some degree. On the other hand, there are the other chisels but I would have to sharpen them. If I bought those chisels I would buy a Wolverine jig to sharpen them. There are several ways you can buy the Wolverine jig and I don't know what I need to do about buying them.

Look at Penn State or try Harbor Freight for gouges as a starter . HERE is where you can get grinder by itself or with CBN wheels. I would learn to sharpen before buying hones because if you cannot sharpen a hone will not help at all.

THIS is where you can get the wolverine jig and you will want the $55 Vari-Grind Jig at the bottom of the page.

If you to get the whole sharpening thing at once Woodcraft has a combined deal for grinder with wheels , Wolverine with Varigrind jig for $270 HERE IT IS

My acknowledged lack of sharpening ability and knowledge is probably 90% of why I never started turning. Heck, plane blades and chisels are a challenge for me.:(

If Easy Wood Tools had been available 40 years ago, I would likely be turning today. 

Replaceable carbide blades would seem to be a God sent solution for guys like me. 

Replaceable carbide blades would seem to be a God sent solution for guys like me. 

Me to. I started with HF cheap tools, knowing my sharpening skills would most likely ruin them. I did get to where I could do an "OK" job. Then came carbide and solved that problem. I sharpen the carbide cutters with a flat diamond surface hone. Works great.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:27 PM, Gerald said:

Look at Penn State or try Harbor Freight for gouges as a starter . HERE is where you can get grinder by itself or with CBN wheels. I would learn to sharpen before buying hones because if you cannot sharpen a hone will not help at all.

THIS is where you can get the wolverine jig and you will want the $55 Vari-Grind Jig at the bottom of the page.

If you to get the whole sharpening thing at once Woodcraft has a combined deal for grinder with wheels , Wolverine with Varigrind jig for $270 HERE IT IS

Harbor freigh has the ''seconds of a high priced company. You'll note the handles are same design with out rings. ordered one checked'm over, ordered nother set. I use a diamond plate/piece/about 3''X5'' to rub'm on once in awhile.