Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Cliff, great topic.

Sir, if you could, can you please update your tags, to reflect more closely the content of your topics? For example, this topic, I would recommend the tags, "storage", "crates". That way in the future, if there are other topics with the tags "crates" or "storage", and one of those tags is clicked on, all topics with "crates" or "storage" will appear to the user. This is a great way to keep our community search friendly, thanks a heap Cliff!

37 minutes ago, Cliff said:

What do you  for  storage of canned goods?

shelving w/ sliding doors...

all containers clearly visible w/ the door open for content identification...

We load up on a lot of stuff over the holidays when the stores have deep discounts, and then store it for use through the year. Just stack it on shelves.

@Gene Howe, feel free to delete the irrelevant tags in this topic. Thanks! 😃

On 9/19/2018 at 10:08 AM, John Morris said:

if you could, can you please update your tags, to reflect more closely the content of your topics?

You know me.  Always the iconoclast non conformer.  

24 minutes ago, Cliff said:

iconoclast

I had to look that up, it's even funnier now!

When we canned, we used a shelving cabinet in the basement where it was cool all year.  I must tell you a true story.

A friend once asked me if I'd help clean out his mother's basement, after she had passes away. In one corner was her canned jars. I had never seen anything like her jars, intricate glass with rubber seals and galvanized caps. Some even had the heavy wire pull over locks. Nearly all were from the early era of canning. Of course everything was bad inside. He made the decision to trash all, after they were crushed. I was telling a friend this and he just about croaked. The jars and and some of the pull overs were worth up $50 each and were quite rare.

In my younger days my mom did canning every year using the crops from our garden. We has a large shelving cabinet in the basement. She used the same canning jars that Ron spoke of. Quart sizes and pint sizes. Everything was labeled and dated so that older products would be used first .Never lost even one jar of veggies. Occasionally a jar of peaches or pears might disappear. Wonder where they might have ended up. :blush:

We always froze our vegetables instead of canning them. I think any of the other suggestions you have received would be good so all you have to do is pick one that fits your needs.

If it comes to storing cans, why not use the expertise in your neighborhood?  As mentioned above, grocery stores have been doing this for years, and what do they like?  In my case, I use those plastic shelving kits which have slotted shelf surfaces.  Periodically, I just use a leaf blower to keep down the dust.