Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

steamshovel

Need New Gutters

Rate this topic

Preston, some years back our house was in the woods (literally) with the roof overshadowed by several large hardwoods (oak, hickory, and maple) along with a few fir trees thrown in. The gutters were always clogged. I decided to replace the gutters completely with larger ones (went to 6" gutters from 5") and put a gutter guard on them as well. In pricing the various options, I found a product called Waterloov that in my opinion is the ultimate gutter protection. I also priced another product called Hallet Gutter Guard that looks and works very much like the Leafguard you are considering (a similar product is called Gutter Helmet, pretty much the same thing). At the time Waterloov had a patent on their design, and the cost of the Waterloov alone was more than the gutter AND gutter guard I wound up buying. Going from memory 200' of guttering/guard and downspout was a little over $1600, and the Waterloov/gutter was $3500. I think since then the Waterloov patent has ecpired and their are some copycat products available. Anyway, the Gutter Guard I wound up buying worked well....not 100%, but probably 95% or so of the leaves/needles were washed off the roof. The biggest problem with them was that every once in a while a house wren would build a nest over one of the downspout openings (in the gutters) and I've have to remove the guard to clean it out. They had bent the ends t try and seal it up so that couldn't happen, but it wasn't totally effective. Anyway, to your question: I think the leaf guard would work well, I also expect it would be more expensive than a separate gutter guard like the Hallet or Gutter Helmet (or any of the variations) since it looks like it's a little more integral to the guttering itself. Best thing to do is get an estimate for it, then compare it to an estimate from a different contractor who does the other stuff.

51 minutes ago, Cal said:

Preston, I installed some leaf guard gutters maybe 20 years ago.  We had oaks and pines that were always plugging up the old gutters.  I have not had to clean them out since.  YMMV 

Cal: That would be great to be free again from the yearly cleaning. Does the leaf guard work good in a heavy downpour or even a slight shower? I have heard some don't work good in a downpour.

Preston

Preston, I suspect the stories you heard about the downpour stuff may have been related to either the type of roof, or (more likely) the pitch of the roof. A standing seam metal roof, or one with a steep pitch makes the water run a little faster and may over shoot the guard, instead of curling around into the gutter.

6 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Preston, I suspect the stories you heard about the downpour stuff may have been related to either the type of roof, or (more likely) the pitch of the roof. A standing seam metal roof, or one with a steep pitch makes the water run a little faster and may over shoot the guard, instead of curling around into the gutter.

Its a fairly steep pitch, standard tar shingles. Before the rain would fill the gutter with leaves, pine cones and needles. One section got so heavy the whole thing came down. 

thanks for the comment.

Preston

22 hours ago, steamshovel said:

Cal: That would be great to be free again from the yearly cleaning. Does the leaf guard work good in a heavy downpour or even a slight shower? I have heard some don't work good in a downpour.

Preston

Preston, light rain - sure.  Had that yesterday.

A heavy downpour is another matter.  We also have a steep (12-12) roof with asphalt shingles.  In a heavy downpour I think the gutters work ok, but the limiting factors seem to be the size of the downspout and the corners.  The downspout will be running WOT but there will still be overflow at the two corners.  One of my inside corners also has a drop to it, so I think that adds to the problem at that location.

If I were redoing the install today I would have made it two separate runs with two downspouts; one long straight run along the house, and a second shorter run which would have done away with the drop, and only had one corner.

5 hours ago, Dadio said:

Preston, I think you need to add some more down spouts or a deeper gutter,or both for the deluges you get. Maybe some intermediate ones to relieve the backup at the corners.

Nice looking house ,BTW. 

Herb 

I just got a bid from one installer 243 feet gutter, 9 down spouts. Oh did I say to sit down $14,000.00. Finally they said $8,000.00

and I still said no. I have another bid Monday.

The house was built in 1935 and used real 2x4"s. We went through the whole house. new floors, walls & ceiling, elect, plumbing and window & doors. It is a solid house to say the least.

Thanks for the info.

Preston

18 minutes ago, steamshovel said:

I just got a bid from one installer 243 feet gutter, 9 down spouts. Oh did I say to sit down $14,000.00. Finally they said $8,000.00

Excuse me, while I pick myself up off the floor. Are those the ones they roll out in one piece on site?

Herb

Good luck with it Preston.  I think you have the right idea with several shorter runs and more downspouts.

What I did learn before having the Leaf Guard installed was that none of the mesh type covers worked.  Leaves and pine needles would plug them up in a heartbeat (at least the long thin water oaks did).

Hope you get a decent bid tomorrow.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:16 AM, Cal said:

Hope you get a decent bid tomorrow.

I got a bid of $690.00 which includes  70 feet of new gutter, clean the rest of gutters, reposition.

It has been hot here 110 yesterday so I am going to wait till it cools down so they can tolerate the temperature. 

Preston