Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
oldwoodie

Chinese Rant

Rate this topic

I open wood planes on ebay and looks like the first 100 items are chinese made! What in the world is going on? Will china finally take all jobs away from us?! It is obvious that they must be selling the stuff or they would stop running their ads!

So, when you go to sell your tools or look for some to buy, where do you look? Why?

I haven't been to flea markets or yard sales in quite some years, but used to go all the time and there were always a lot of old tools around.   Your best bet if there are no local sellers (at any kind of reasonable price and condition) is to check craigslist and other online listings and then check the bay for known quality makers (with the understanding you may be getting a franken-plane (one put together from parts) or it'll simply be so expensive you'll start looking at the planes currently being made.

I don't see very many planes at the Restores nearest me; I don't know if they never show up or are scarfed up before i get in the door.   I've been to probably 7-8 different ones and a lot of the tools are beat.

7 minutes ago, p_toad said:

I haven't been to flea markets or yard sales in quite some years, but used to go all the time and there were always a lot of old tools around.   Your best bet if there are no local sellers (at any kind of reasonable price and condition) is to check craigslist and other online listings and then check the bay for known quality makers (with the understanding you may be getting a franken-plane (one put together from parts) or it'll simply be so expensive you'll start looking at the planes currently being made.

I don't see very many planes at the Restores nearest me; I don't know if they never show up or are scarfed up before i get in the door.   I've been to probably 7-8 different ones and a lot of the tools are beat.

Place down in Springfield, OH....."Heart of Ohio"  is a HUGE store....and always seems to have a lot of old hand tools.....

Yep, another one bites the dust https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/bridge-city-tool-works-sold-chinese-manufacturer

passionate customers of Bridge City “will hardly notice the change.” -- RIGHT!?

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, kmealy said:

Yep, another one bites the dust https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/bridge-city-tool-works-sold-chinese-manufacturer

passionate customers of Bridge City “will hardly notice the change.” -- RIGHT!?

...picture of a plane in that article...it's disgusting...  Looks like one of them Transformer dudes waiting to turn into an empty cat food can...

Bridge City has been famous for producing high quality (and a correspondingly higher priced) tools. It appears, that, Xu holds the same values as Economaki, but how long before the quality suffers...my guess is two years when Economaki is finally gone and no longer overseeing the QC inspections of the Xu lines.

I'm in total agreement with @Nickp on the plane observations. Form should follow function. Although this Star Wars design probably does an excellent job, my tastes would run to the more classical Lie-Nielsen, Veritas, or other high quality modern planes for a comparable or lower price. There are only so many ways to "shave wood" and "silky smooth" is in, er, the hands of the holder. It is totally subjective. Does that Bridge City plane work any better than the comparable Veritas?

My guess is, that, you get to the same end result either way.

If you are going to demand HIGH prices for quality tools then focus on unique tools that are not common in the industry. Don't hype me "art deco" tools.

Just my 2¢!!!!!