May 27, 20188 yr comment_150290 In the weekly thread for the woodworking agenda, I mentioned that i was working on bottle stoppers. Here's the one I am working on now, it had a cut in it so I am going to cut it off there, then finish shaping it. I also drilled the opposite end to make a second stopper, since this piece is so long. I see a few minor cracks, so i will fill those soon. Edited May 27, 20188 yr by Charles Nicholls Spelling Report
May 27, 20188 yr Author comment_150292 Just now, lew said: Looking Good, Charles! What type of wood?? Heya Lew, not sure but I believe maple. Report
May 27, 20188 yr comment_150293 so far so good... but that has to be for the mother of all bottles... Edited May 27, 20188 yr by Stick486 Report
May 27, 20188 yr Author comment_150295 3 minutes ago, Stick486 said: so far so good... but that has to be for the mother of all bottles... LOL The piece isn't as big as you might think . It will definitely make 2 stoppers though. Report
May 27, 20188 yr comment_150300 Looking good. Looks like Cherry going by color in the picture. The picture color is often off though. Report
May 30, 20188 yr Author comment_150474 Here is that (semi-finished) stopper! I am wanting to put a better finish on it but don't have any poly urethane, or anything else other than wax to seal it right now. SO it will sit until I do. I also have the other half of the original piece to make another stopper with. Thanks for your interest all . Edited May 30, 20188 yr by Charles Nicholls Spelling Report
May 30, 20188 yr Author comment_150488 27 minutes ago, HandyDan said: That is real nice. Thank you Dan! I hope that I can get a good sealer for it soon, otherwise I'll just do something like tung oil. Report
May 30, 20188 yr Author comment_150493 9 minutes ago, lew said: Looks awesome, Charles! Love those Ruth Niles stoppers!! I agree Lew, I do need to get her mandrel though. Report
May 30, 20188 yr comment_150495 Her products are top notch and made to exacting standards. I made this from a bolt. Cut off the head and added a nut and washer. I use my lathe drill bit chuck to hold it- Report
May 30, 20188 yr comment_150496 Looking good from my end... I agree with Dan its Cherry... Better for what you are doing with it than maple which doesn't have as much character as Cherry...but hey, we both might be wrong.... It will be my first time but Dan is wrong way more times than me. Report
May 30, 20188 yr Author comment_150498 13 minutes ago, lew said: Her products are top notch and made to exacting standards. I made this from a bolt. Cut off the head and added a nut and washer. I use my lathe drill bit chuck to hold it- Cool Lew! I don't have a way to cut bolts but that's ok, I am setting aside money for the mandrel anyway. 5 minutes ago, Smallpatch said: Looking good from my end... I agree with Dan its Cherry... Better for what you are doing with it than maple which doesn't have as much character as Cherry...but hey, we both might be wrong.... It will be my first time but Dan is wrong way more times than me. It may well be cherry, I couldn't smell it while turning it to verify one way or the other. I will always defer to someone that has handled and dealt with more wood types than I have Report
May 30, 20188 yr Author comment_150504 Just now, Steve Krumanaker said: looking good! Some beautiful grain in that. steve Thanks so much Steve. Report
May 31, 20188 yr Author comment_150588 18 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said: Turned (no pun intended) out fantastic Charles. Thanks Dave, it really did. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.