March 3, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_142275 I've had a request for photos of the ship model Niagara that I've started but yet unfinished. The hull and decking were assembled one plank at a time. Still a long way's to go. More work to be done with the masts so they haven't been attached yet. Edited March 3, 20188 yr by It Was Al B Report
March 4, 20188 yr comment_142282 Magnificent,Al, I don't know how you can work with such small pieces. Absolutely stunning, I have always admired model builders. Great job. Herb Report
March 4, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_142284 Take some advice from someone who didn't- build a glass or plexiglass protective housing when you are done. Too much work invested to become a dust magnet. Report
March 4, 20188 yr comment_142286 3 minutes ago, lew said: Take some advice from someone who didn't- build a glass or plexiglass protective housing when you are done. Too much work invested to become a dust magnet. Or get knocked off on to the floor,or little feely fingers exploring . Herb Report
March 4, 20188 yr comment_142288 Gee Al, that's really neat. The details are so realistic. You must have a steady hand and good eyes. Report
March 4, 20188 yr Author comment_142289 14 minutes ago, lew said: Fantastic! I'll bet the rigging will be a lot of fun! I've got to admit, I'm wondering if I'll be able to get it done so that it at least looks right. Report
March 4, 20188 yr comment_142294 Fantastic Al...you certainly have the patience of Job for something like that. My fat fingers would have glue all over the place and make it look like a fiber-glass boat. Way out of my league in so many ways. Thanks for sharing! Report
March 4, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_142295 17 minutes ago, It Was Al B said: I've got to admit, I'm wondering if I'll be able to get it done so that it at least looks right. I never built a wooden sailing ship model but did a bunch of plastic ones- two Cutty Sarks, two USS Constitutions, one Thermopylae and a CSA Alabama. These were all those large Revell models. The USS Constitution, with sails, had the most difficult rigging. Get some really long tweezers and some hemostats. You'll probably make some unique probes to help maneuver the strings into the belaying pin rails. I made mine by cutting "V" notches into the ends of model paint brush handles. Report
March 4, 20188 yr comment_142301 Absolutely fantastic, Al.. Way beyond my capabilities. Don't give up. Ever.. I like the glass enclosure idea. Keep posting images as you go. We like progress status images. Larry Report
March 4, 20188 yr Author comment_142304 2 hours ago, Gene Howe said: Gee Al, that's really neat. The details are so realistic. You must have a steady hand and good eyes. Not all that steady Gene ! And the fat fingers do get in the way. When I get frustrated with it, it's put aside for awhile Report
March 4, 20188 yr Author comment_142305 Thanks Larry. Now smaller details, and rigging that really will be a challenge for me. It's a bit larger than I had anticipated. Approx. 35" long and 26 1/2" tall. The colors are the authentic Niagara colors. Report
March 4, 20188 yr comment_142309 Nice work Al. My dad did a couple so I know what detail they require. Keep it up. Report
March 4, 20188 yr comment_142313 Looks fantastic so far Al! When did you start this project? I know all about lengthy projects... Report
March 4, 20188 yr comment_142314 Amazing work, really takes some talent (and dexterity) to do something like that. Report
March 4, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_142323 Wow, Al. That size model will need a huge bottle. Report
March 4, 20188 yr Author comment_142349 5 hours ago, Cal said: Looks fantastic so far Al! When did you start this project? I know all about lengthy projects... It's definitely been a lengthy project that only gets attention when I'm in the mood. I don't even remember when I started it, probably 2- 3 years ago. Maybe Larry Jenkins has a better memory than I do about when It was started, since he provided the model kit for me. Report
March 4, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_142379 8 hours ago, Gene Howe said: Wow, Al. That size model will need a huge bottle. Well then, let's get started. You get the ice, I'll pour. Report
March 4, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_142380 8 minutes ago, PostalTom said: Well then, let's get started. You get the ice, I'll pour. And, immediately after we empty it, I'll help cram it in. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.