Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sthefany Linares

How much does a kitchen remodel cost?

Rate this topic

Depends a lot on custom cabinets vs. stock cabinets, appliances, flooring and labor rates in your area. Hard to even give a ballpark figure without knowing more.

We did a gut-to-the-studs of a fairly large kitchen some years ago (actually, almost 10 years ago) with all new everything, appliances (except the gas cook top), floor, ceiling, and even replaced the patio door in the dining nook. I did the tear out of the old stuff, and then the contractors came in and did all the installation. It was $35K. But that was with Corian countertops and "semi custom" cabinets (their words, not mine) which are pretty much stock cabinets modified in a few ways as needed. It's very hard to get a working number without knowing what exactly you are looking to do. I would start by looking at some cabinet displays and get the "cost per foot" from some of the displays, use that as an "order of magnitude" type number. Do the same for each aspect of the remodel; flooring, appliances, any tile work, etc. Then add 25-35% to the total to cover trim, electric, plumbing and whatever other things that might show up. Around me the custom cabinet makers seem to have given up, about all we could find was the stock (factory made) cabinets.  You can also get rough (very rough) ideas of costs on sites like Home Advisor. Lastly, WELCOME to the forum, always good to see new members.

55 minutes ago, Sthefany Linares said:

Hi everyone, I want to do a full kitchen remodel next year and want to start saving up, but I'm wondering how much I should save before spending money by calling a contractor.

First off welcome to The Patriot Woodworker. Always great to see new people participating.

As to your question without a lot more information it will be difficult for anyone to "guesstimate" an accurate response for you...such as: (1) general location in the country (2) kitchen square foot (3) linear feet of cabinets both upper/lower (4) types of cabinets, (5) type of flooring (6) type of appliances (7) # of windows/doors (8) amount of sweat equity (your own labor) you plan to contribute...well you kinda' get the idea.

As Fred mentioned, Home Advisor has some general information that might prove helpful...this article might be of some help. Keep us updated and feel free to ask questions any-time.

The kitchen serves as the heart and hearth of your home. It's where you prepare your meals and it's where all of your parties gather. Is it any wonder that kitchen remodels are so popular and have the largest payoff in terms of boosting a home's resale value? Of course, kitchen remodels are also the most complicated and can be the most expensive. The average project cost varies depending on the size of your kitchen, the quality of materials, and whether you change the layout of the room. On average, homeowners report that a kitchen remodel costs $21,626. A smaller project between $10,000 and $15,000 may include painting walls, refacing cabinets, upgrading the sink, and installing a tile backsplash. A $30,000+ renovation may include installing custom cabinets, hardwood floors, granite counters, and high-end appliances. Most homeowners spend between $12,594 and $33,065.

Read full article here: http://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/kitchens/remodel-a-kitchen/

1 hour ago, lew said:

Depends a lot on custom cabinets vs. stock cabinets, appliances, flooring and labor rates in your area. Hard to even give a ballpark figure without knowing more.

ditto...

An uncle of mine once answered a question like this, "How much water does it take to fill a leaky barrel?"

Welcome aboard.

As for your question, maybe you should start saving last year. :)

Lots of variables involved - big or little kitchen. How many cabinets - uppers and lowers? On the lower cabinets are you going with drawers or doors or both?

Soft close hinges and drawer slides or regular yucky stuff? :)

Paint or stain?

I will be starting this week on a complete tear out of a small kitchen. I will be installing new cabinets I build which will include a couple of custom items. No flooring or counter tops. That's not my job. About 10K. My wife and I will do most of the work but I am hiring a family member to help with the demo. Actually he is well experienced in remodel work so it will go faster than it would if I hired a rookie off the street.

I will be willing to bet my job is considerably lower in cost than most due to the geographical location.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, MT Stringer said:

Welcome aboard.

As for your question, maybe you should start saving last year. :)

Lots of variables involved - big or little kitchen. How many cabinets - uppers and lowers? On the lower cabinets are you going with drawers or doors or both?

Soft close hinges and drawer slides or regular yucky stuff? :)

Paint or stain?

I will be starting this week on a complete tear out of a small kitchen. I will be installing new cabinets I build which will include a couple of custom items. No flooring or counter tops. That's not my job. About 10K. My wife and I will do most of the work but I am hiring a family member to help with the demo. Actually he is well experienced in remodel work so it will go faster than it would if I hired a rookie off the street.

I will be willing to bet my job is considerably lower in cost than most due to the geographical location.

Good luck.

Laminate or granite countertops?

Ordinary appliances or high end/professional/gourmet, built-in?

Walls - painted, granite, subway tiles, other?

Flooring?

Open floor plan to great room?  Breakfast counter?

Wine cooler? Garbage compactor?

Pantry?

3 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

We did a gut-to-the-studs of a fairly large kitchen some years ago (actually, almost 10 years ago) with all new everything, appliances (except the gas cook top), floor, ceiling, and even replaced the patio door in the dining nook. I did the tear out of the old stuff, and then the contractors came in and did all the installation. It was $35K. But that was with Corian countertops and "semi custom" cabinets (their words, not mine) which are pretty much stock cabinets modified in a few ways as needed. It's very hard to get a working number without knowing what exactly you are looking to do. I would start by looking at some cabinet displays and get the "cost per foot" from some of the displays, use that as an "order of magnitude" type number. Do the same for each aspect of the remodel; flooring, appliances, any tile work, etc. Then add 25-35% to the total to cover trim, electric, plumbing and whatever other things that might show up. Around me the custom cabinet makers seem to have given up, about all we could find was the stock (factory made) cabinets.  You can also get rough (very rough) ideas of costs on sites like Home Advisor. Lastly, WELCOME to the forum, always good to see new members.

Do what Fred says and figure granite counter tops and tile flooring ,then double it,(I'm not kidding) then when you have that money tied up either by loans or cash,start looking for a contractor. You will find that you'll need every penny. and maybe more, and If you have some cash left over, take a vacation you will need it and deserve it.

You can always work down,i.e. vinyl flooring,Coriian counters,or laminate counters, etc.

Herb

Edited by Dadio