2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

difalkner

Btw, even though this is a completed build please feel free to comment, offer suggestions, challenge what I did or didn't do, etc.  What gets discussed and shown here may be just what someone else is looking for in a build or modification so don't consider this a closed subject - ask and comment away!!

David

Here's a shot of the gantry clearance -

006%20-%20Gantry%20clearance_zpsecf4g7ow

Started on the stand and got it about half finished (yes, it's upside down) -

007%20-%20Stand_zps3ue3lkgo.jpg

008%20-%20Adjustable%20feet_zps0whi40bz.

009%20-%20Lock%20nuts_zpsmcmfutjv.jpg

Finished the stand today. I know I'm thorough but this took me about 20 hours to build and I have no idea if that's slow or fast or about average. It's actually fast for me and I managed to do it in two sessions - 8 hours yesterday and 12 today.

All the pieces that will contact the CNC frame are jointed to ensure they're flat and straight and each hole was drilled with 1/8" for threads, 3/16" for the barrel, countersunk for the head, and securely tightened, so about 4 operations for each of the hundred or so fasteners. Each joint is square and tight and then the entire stand was sanded. I may come back later and put some Shellac on it but not today.

A friend is coming over tomorrow and bringing his engine hoist so we can lift the frame onto the stand. More later!!

010%20-%20Finished%20stand_zps3uz0cepf.j

011%20-%20Finished%20stand_zpsk8szigjj.j

We managed to get the CNC frame lifted over the table saw extension and on to the stand. The stand worked perfectly, so that's a good feeling. Nothing creaked or moved and it is dead level with the additional nearly 500 lbs. of weight just as it was without the frame weighing it down.

My friend Adam, also a good woodworker, brought his engine hoist over and we managed to maneuver the CNC over the obstacles and set onto the stand and only had to move my air compressor to make room. That's not a bad feat given how tight this was.

012%20-%20Adam%20CNC%20frame%20on%20engi

CNC frame on the stand -

013%20-%20CNC%20frame%20on%20stand_zps3g

Here's a good shot of the CNC in our shop. There's some clutter from moving things around to make room for this but I'll get that organized and cleaned up soon. You can see the spindle, steppers, and other components on the bench so hopefully I'll get a chance to start mounting those over the next few days.

014%20-%20CNC%20in%20the%20shop_zpsqncdd

Added some locator blocks to keep the frame on the stand. I figure gravity will do its part to hold the machine down onto the stand but inertia and momentum may persuade the unit to slide on the stand. Hopefully this will suffice. There are 4 of these blocks in opposing directions, two on each end.

015%20-%20Locator%20blocks_zps34cszwtl.j

Busy day but managed to get three of the motors mounted and belts tensioned. I'm waiting on a spacer and a coupler to mount the fourth motor, also waiting on the spindle mount.

017%20-%20Motor%20mounted_zpsotoj5nur.jp

018%20-%20Motor%20mounted_zpspcjokqj6.jp

019%20-%20Motor%20mounted_zpsgggkfodd.jp

The spindle mount just arrived. I'm now 5 minutes closer to finishing - LOL! That's all it took to mount this, so while I can't run without it I figure I've only gained 5 minutes.

020%20-%20Spindle%20mounted_zpsomjry5lf.

021%20-%20Spindle%20mounted_zpsuahqdjbw.

Dave you are doing it again, showing off this fantastic looking machine, it just makes me sick.  Don't you know old men like shinny new toys?  AND you had to pick a day when the CNC I use all the time decided to act up.  Now you got me calling Nate and asking questions.

That sure is a pretty machine you got there! 

If it makes you feel any better, Mike, it is no longer that pristine.  Stick told me some time ago that these things get dusty and darn if he wasn't right!  LOL!

I try to keep it clean but looking at these photos again makes me realize how good it looked a year ago.  Oh, well, it sure does run good so I'll take that over looking good any day.

David

The screw caps also came in with the spindle mount and I had time tonight after church to put those on - 72 of them! That took a lot longer than mounting the spindle, for sure. But it will keep dust out of the screw holes and help lengthen the life of the bearings. After I put them in I dressed each one down to make sure nothing was sticking up proud of the surface.

022%20-%20Screw%20caps_zpspqcepj0y.jpg

023%20-%20Screw%20caps_zpsabocfavs.jpg

024%20-%20Screw%20caps_zpsm9eiuiu9.jpg

Well, bummer... I am all set to wire the enclosure this weekend and my box arrived on time from Amazon, as usual. However, for the first time in a long time they sent the wrong item. I ordered a 16x16x8 enclosure and they sent a 20x24x8 box. That would be ok if it would fit but it is way too large and I'm gonna have to send it back. I'd have to modify the stand or mount it somewhere off the machine for this to work for me and I don't wish to do either of those.

025%20-%20Wrong%20enclosure_zps7ajezjif.

026%20-%20Wrong%20enclosure_zpsjzkenwtq.

Well, the 16x16x8 enclosure came in today from Amazon and it appears God was watching out for me via Amazon shipping the 24x20x8 enclosure on Friday. I typically plan to the last little detail but on the enclosure choice I never laid out all the components, just assumed 16x16x8 would be sufficient. Man, was I wrong!! So I'm keeping the larger (wrong) one sent on Friday and shipping back the smaller one.

I loosely laid out the components on the back plate and there's no way this would have ever fit on the smaller one -

029%20-%20Enclosure%20layout_zps7so7vnda

3 hours ago, difalkner said:

The spacer for the Z axis motor came in today along with the correct 14mm flex mount so now that's complete (except wiring) -

030%20-%20Z%20motor%20mounted_zpsr5rb76l

031%20-%20Z%20motor%20mounted_zpshwigcnn

This measurement doesn't mean anything but for scale it is 31" from the top of the motor to the bottom of the spindle nut -

032%20-%20Z%20axis%20complete_zpssgqsnqt

Dave on this last picture, is this the lowest your Z axis will go or will the collet actually go just below the frame".  Looks like quick dovetails could be cut quickly and recessed holding jigs would be easy to make and mount.

13 hours ago, difalkner said:

If it makes you feel any better, Mike, it is no longer that pristine.  Stick told me some time ago that these things get dusty and darn if he wasn't right!  LOL!

I try to keep it clean but looking at these photos again makes me realize how good it looked a year ago.  Oh, well, it sure does run good so I'll take that over looking good any day.

David

Well David since it is old and all dirty and probably almost worn out from you running it so hard I would be willing to come pick it up and get it out of the way so you can have room for a new machine.  AND I won't charge you anything, I'll do it for free!:D

15 minutes ago, MEBCWD said:

Dave on this last picture, is this the lowest your Z axis will go or will the collet actually go just below the frame".  Looks like quick dovetails could be cut quickly and recessed holding jigs would be easy to make and mount.

Good questions, Mike.  It goes lower on Z and further on Y - this is just a measurement I took to show scale for where it was sitting at the time. 

I just took a couple of shots with it at the limit for Z and Y to show you.  I could, of course, loosen the spindle mount and drop it a little to get lower on Z if I really needed it but I'd rather not do that.

Z+ limit (collet nut goes just below the main board, so a larger bit - this one is 1/8" - would go down a good amount more)

164%20-%20Z%20distance%20below%20frame_z

Y- limit (that's about 1.375" past the frame)

165%20-%20Y%20distance%20past%20frame_zp

David

15 minutes ago, MEBCWD said:

Well David since it is old and all dirty and probably almost worn out from you running it so hard I would be willing to come pick it up and get it out of the way so you can have room for a new machine.  AND I won't charge you anything, I'll do it for free!:D

I think I'll use it a little while longer but I'll make you a deal - you can come get my 8' bed Oliver lathe (10' long overall length) any time you want!  I'll even make you a deal of a lifetime but you'll need to bring a low trailer and 4-5 strong friends - it weighs between 700 and 800 pounds. I'll even let you keep the dust it has accumulated... B)

More of the electronic components came in today but I am waiting on a 12V power supply (just ordered today due to a change in plans from the way I originally intended one component), a terminal strip, and a few connectors. I'll likely make a little platform for the 5V and place the 12V PSU under it to save some back plate space. I'll be sure to give it enough space for all to remain cool but there's no reason not to stack these.

The pushbutton switches are both momentary with the green start button being NO and the red mushroom button being NC. The circuit I have designed will close the relays and start the power supplies and fans with the green button but nothing else will run until directed by the controller software. If I install a manual jog then that would work, though. The red button is not an emergency stop though it would have the same effect. It will cause the relays to open and there would be no power at all to the components. These pushbuttons will be at the opposite end of what I would call the 'front' of the machine so even though the red button is accessible I'll have other real e-stop switches located in better places for immediate use.

The relays in the bottom right corner will be for 120VAC and 240VAC. Only one of the contactors will be used on the 120V unless I decide to split the load and use both. The 240V relay will only be used for the VFD/Spindle. Both will open in the event of a power loss and that ensures the system won't restart on its own when power is restored.

I'm also allowing enough room for one more stepper driver for a future A axis installation. I'll go ahead and drill/tap the holes for it but will get the driver later. There will be a second and smaller fan to the right of the VFD and it will blow out. The bottom fan will blow in across the stepper drivers and power supplies.

So this is what it looks like in my initial layout, which is of course subject to change -   

033%20-%20Electronics%20initial%20layout

As you look at the photo of my initial layout you can see that once I start adding wiring, terminal blocks, etc. this will get crowded quickly. Each time I go to this larger box to consider how I'll arrange everything I just am so glad I got this by mistake and didn't have to use the smaller box.

I should have done this mock up in CorelDRAW before I ordered the enclosure...

034%20-%20Electrical%20enclosure%20layou

We've been out of town moving my daughter to New Orleans and I'm still waiting on a couple of things before I start wiring, but I did manage to build the little platform mount for the 5V power supply. I'll get the holes drilled and tapped in the aluminum angle so I can mount the power supply but have to wait before committing to placement on the panel until the other things come in. Also, I'm starting a project with some beautiful Curly Maple and Walnut so I'll be bouncing back and forth between getting this wired up and doing some woodworking.

035%20-%205V%20power%20supply%20mount_zp

036%20-%205V%20power%20supply%20mount_zp

1 hour ago, difalkner said:

I think I'll use it a little while longer but I'll make you a deal - you can come get my 8' bed Oliver lathe (10' long overall length) any time you want!  I'll even make you a deal of a lifetime but you'll need to bring a low trailer and 4-5 strong friends - it weighs between 700 and 800 pounds. I'll even let you keep the dust it has accumulated... B)

David it took you a long time to collect all that dust I'd hate to take the treasured memories that it holds away and of course you need to keep the lathe to display in on.:rolleyes:

It's time to wire the panel but I wanted to make certain there would be sufficient airflow on the stepper drivers, in particular the Z and future A (rotary axis) since they aren't right in front of the fan. This is a simple little test but it validates what I thought it would be like so the next step is laying out the hole placement for the components and then drilling/tapping for a bunch of 6-32 screws.