Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Patriot Woodworker

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another Newby

Featured Replies

I joined the forum a few days ago after learning that the Wood Magazine forums were closing. I have already been welcolmed by several of you and that tells me I should have been on here long ago. I did not know about this forum until several guys mentioned it on Wood.

I am a very lucky hobbyist. I say "lucky " because that is how I feel about being a woodworker. Mine is a typical story. I got interested in WW by watching my favorite uncle who was very patient with me. I  started about 20 years ago in a tiny partial unfinished basement. It has been enlarged  and improved several times since then as my quest for the magic tool made more space a necessity. I still have all my digits, although I did suffer a painful mishap as I layed my thumb down on my tablesaw blade...the usual story, late one day...just do this this one more thing before quitting, lost concentration...

I am lucky enough to have been able to attend 13 classes at Marc Adams School of Woodworking and WOW, what a priceless experience that has been.

I retired from city management 5 years ago. I do read a lot but don't play golf, so both me and my wife would  be crazy by now if I did not have this hobby to keep me out of her way.

I enjoy bluegrass music and cigars as I work. Whether I am deeply involved in a completing a project, starting a new project, or just cleaning up the shop, I thank the l Iord every day for this blessing.

I know I can learn a lot on this forum, and maybe I cab help someone else. 

Welcome, Kelly. I know all too well what you mean about the hobby and the wife. I often tell folks when you're retired you need something to keep you out of your wife's hair. In any case, glad to see you here!

Edited by Fred W. Hargis, Jr

Welcome, Kelly. Check back often. Your experiences will be invaluable.

Kelly, it's great have you aboard

2 hours ago, Kelly in NC said:

I enjoy bluegrass music

Hey Kelly welcome again to The Patriot Woodworker! Of all the things I zeroed in on, it was your love for Blue Grass music :lol:. What type do you like and who do you listen too?

 

I have heard (who hasn't) that the Marc Adams school is a wonderful experience, you are a very fortunate man indeed, and I am envious. What a neat way to hone your woodworking skills.

Aww yes, the quest for the magic tool, it is never ending, until one day you wake up and realize, you have two of them and they were attached to your wrists since the day you were born!

 

Welcome again Kelly, and have a wonderful day and we hope you enjoy your experience here on The Patriot Woodworker.

Hi again, Kelly and Welcome! Love to see some pictures of that basement shop. Maybe I can get some ideas for my tiny little work space.

Kelly, welcome to TPW. I spent some time on Wood several years ago until John Morris decided to start this forum and I moved over to help out. Glad you are here and hope you feel at home here. Great bunch of guys here and we look forward to your input in the forums.

 

 

Keith, there are lots of refugees here from Wood.  I hate it that Wood is closing shop but on the selfish side, we here at TPW get to see what y'all have made and are making.  BTW, ain't retirement great?

Retirement:  Half as much money and twice as much husband around the house.

 

6 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Retirement:  Half as much money and twice as much husband around the house.

 

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for joining Kelly. Hope you will join us in the forums.

Glad to see you here too, Kelly

Welcome to the group!:lol:

Hello guys... you too Gene...

Dan made me do it and I believe it was a good decision to listen to him...

 

did Leo make it???

 

33.5° and heavy snow warnings are up...

(it's about time)

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

Hello guys... you too Gene...

Dan made me do it and I believe it was a good decision to listen to him...

 

did Leo make it???

 

33.5° and heavy snow warnings are up...

(it's about time)

I haven't seen him here yet, but I thought I read on WOOD that he was over here.

Hi Kelly glad you're here.  This seems like a great place to call home.  All the regulars seem to be glad to have us.  I hope we don't overwhelm them. 

 

Dan

2 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Hi Kelly glad you're here.  This seems like a great place to call home.  All the regulars seem to be glad to have us.  I hope we don't overwhelm them. 

 

Dan

Are you kidding Dan? We are completely happy to have you all here. Overwhelm us please!:lol:

2 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Are you kidding Dan? We are completely happy to have you all here. Overwhelm us please!:lol:

There you go.  Thanks John. 

Kelly glad you made it. Stick I think you have been around Dan too long and now giving weather reports too..........Do ya'll work outside......LOL

Thanks Gerald. Glad to see you here and look forward to seeing your postings and pics

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

Kelly glad you made it. Stick I think you have been around Dan too long and now giving weather reports too..........Do ya'll work outside......LOL

it wasn't Dan...

 

Leo brags about getting his brain baked, dehydrating and then swimming in bath water...

so I had let him know all was right w/ the world here...

so the last few days says winter is upon us (hopefully) for at least the next 9 months...

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.