July 16, 201610 yr comment_67267 I think I have a handle on Ebony and how best to proceed, so I learned from my first turning and applied what I knew. All went well with the Ebony and then I selected a much better piece of Yellow Hart than the piece I used with my first turning. As I was finishing up and pleased with my work, there was a noise outside that startled me and I made a move that BROKE the yellow heart in two pieces!!! I walked away for about an hour, had a coffee and came back. Not wanting to make a new piece or destroying what I had.............I got an idea and I worked at it until I have what you see. Finding centers and drilling holes in those tiny pieces was one big challenge. Report
July 16, 201610 yr comment_67268 Nice Save! I sometimes use my Dremel tool for small holes but as you said- finding the center can be a challenge. Report
July 17, 201610 yr Author comment_67269 I ;use finger drills in micro sizes. I have broken enough now that I am pretty good at it Report
August 20, 201610 yr comment_68477 I like the look you are getting. I do have a suggestion. On the finials put the longer thinner one on bottom and the sorter on top. This will hang better and make it easier to mount the hook eye on top. Report
August 20, 201610 yr comment_68499 Beautiful turnings from both of you. Ebony and yellowheart are nice woods for sure! Steve Report
August 20, 201610 yr comment_68507 All these Christmas turnings are making me long for Christmas now, since reading all these wonderful topics on Christmas turnings, as far as I am concerned summer is over, bring on Christmas! Report
August 20, 201610 yr Author comment_68515 Gerald, It did have a longer finial. That is the part I ruined when I was startled by a noise from outside and jerked breaking the darn thing. I replace the broken section with a chain. Report
August 20, 201610 yr comment_68619 Nice turnings from both of you. Ebony is a species I have never had the pleasure to turn. I have ebonized some things with black ink but never achieve the look of the real thing. Dan Report
August 21, 201610 yr comment_68701 Ron do you turn finial after mounting on the ornament? I usually wind up with 2 or 3 in the drawer when I start doing them again.......Got to find a use for all those. Report
August 21, 201610 yr Author comment_68716 Actually I do both, it depends on the situation and how the wood turns. Sometimes I will set them aside (like you do in a drawer) I will do another project, but that piece is on my mind. I always find a way to use it. Sometimes I get aggravated and toss it, however only me and God know. I won't tell and God loves me anyway. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.