MWTCA July 2016 "What's It" Contest

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our July what's it live and ready!

The image below is the current MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!

Remember, the first accurate answer wins a one year membership to the awesome organization MWTCA!

For a run down on this project and the rules, please see this page at "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project"

So without further Adieu, "What's It!" Submit your answers (and fun commentary) in the reply box. And win a one year membership for MWTCA!

Keep in mind, the MWTCA does not know what this item is either, the image was submitted by one of its members for us to research. Lets help MWTCA find an answer.

The spikes on this item are around 5" in length. There are two mounting holes on the frame, and the part holding the spikes can freely rotate on the threaded shaft. Turning the handle raises and lowers the spikes, which can all pivot outwards.

162-2n.jpg

MWTCA.png

22 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Log splitter, well..part of it.  May have been a frame to hold a small log (  for fire wood).   Drop a stick onto the frame, turn the screw until the blank splits into 4 sections. 

Now that's compelling Steve! Now to prove that theory.

Thinking of your idea further, the screw handle this implement has, would not allow the leverage it would need to split the smallest logs.

26 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

This was used to collect samples. You would push it in to the subject (water melon?) turn the crank and it would go deep into the subject. Then you would withdraw it and have your sample.

Ron that's gross!!:lol:

You have a macabre mind!

Not certain however my guess is the top part of a cheese / cider / wine press.
This part would mount onto the lid the arms would splay out and through the slots in the receiving bucket 
Then the top part of the press would push down squeezing ( pressing) in the bucket.
Or not....

Gerry 

1 hour ago, Gerald P. (Gerry) Cousins said:

Not certain however my guess is the top part of a cheese / cider / wine press.
This part would mount onto the lid the arms would splay out and through the slots in the receiving bucket 
Then the top part of the press would push down squeezing ( pressing) in the bucket.
Or not....

Gerry 

Not bad Gerry!!!! Thanks for your input sir!

It's as good a suggestion as any at this point. I am still working on my uneducated guess. At least you guys were able to come up with something on the fly!

John may be on to something. It seems to me I saw a instrument like this or similar and was uses to place tight bands on the testicle of calves or goats and this would cause them to die and was thought more humane than other forms used. I am not finding anything to explain better but will need to continue to look. Of course I am not as good at recall as I used to be so this may be used to stretch shoes or hats. I am sure someone has better Ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take pictures of these two things to coffee in the morning at McD.  I go every morning and see the same guys. A couple are nearly 90 and have varied mechanical backgrounds. So after doing a bunch of web research, I will try to see what some real life old guys know. :)

6 hours ago, Ron Altier said:

I'm going to take pictures of these two things to coffee in the morning at McD.  I go every morning and see the same guys. A couple are nearly 90 and have varied mechanical backgrounds. So after doing a bunch of web research, I will try to see what some real life old guys know. :)

Go get em Ron!!!!! This should be interesting!