January 8, 201610 yr comment_64330 While perusing the internet looking at chair designs I found a great example of a Wegner design chair at the Danish Design Store. The chair is not original, but its made by the same manufacture Carl Hansen and Son who I think I've read some where that they hired Wegner (the "W" in Wegner sounds like a "V") after World War 2 as a designer and maker. This is one of Wegner's designs and Carl Hansen and Son is still making the chair today, as a limited edition. I love Danish designs. I love them for many reasons, firstly they are fluid, sculpted, and the design makes great use of the inherent beauty of the wood species being used. And I love the designs because when I look at any of the Danish Modern designs, I say to myself, "Hey, I can do that!". Unlike furniture of the Baroque period or Queen Anne and other styles that were graced with extravagance, I cannot do that nor do I fee like learning at this time. But with the Danish design, I can do that, and it's fun to view furnishings that you can connect with and understand the joinery and the process. Here are some other great links to the subject. Carl Hansen and Son Hans J. Wegner Danish Modern Danish Furnishings on (eBay) Report
January 9, 201610 yr comment_64365 Danish modern is certainly simple elegance. However, for fluidity and naturalness, I'll stick with Maloof and Hiakawa. Report
January 10, 201610 yr Author comment_64414 Funny you mentioned Maloof, Gene. The man gained much of his inspiration from Hans Wegner, you can see Danish Modern all over Maloof's work. Can you please show me some links to Hiakawa, I googled it and didn't go very far with it. Thanks! Here is a chair titled "After Wegner" built by Maloof in 1952. Report
January 10, 201610 yr comment_64416 The mind is almost gone, John. I meant Nakashima. Sam's work, to me, is much less sparse and severe, more inviting. Report
January 10, 201610 yr Author comment_64421 1 hour ago, Gene Howe said: John. I meant Nakashima Geez thanks alot Gene, you had me on a wild goose chase on Google for a half hour! I did learn a lot about some American Indians though! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.