Cal, no extra weight except the 3/8" cold roll rod in the middle.
I ended up with extension pieces about 1 1/4" wide between the pole and the cups. So that's not too far away from center to need the extra weight at the bottom.
2 part epoxy was used in almost all the joints that needed gluing together. Harbor Freight 8.95 size and I still have most all of the two tubes left. I always use the 6 minute epoxy and any one time is always about a thimble half full is more that I need at any one time.
I also use the bottom of a coke can for my mixing and I then use that part thats left on the can to test and see when I can start doing something else. This way I don't interrupt whats setting up and me screwing with it before its set and get things screwed up...
Also its very hard to get the exact same amount squeezed on to the can and a couple of time I had to wait longer before it let me know when I could continue man handling everything. The only place I used hot melt glue was on the small pieces of ash in the cup on top of the pole. 50 to 75 pieces in that cup and epoxy would have been very messy. I forgot to add some red to the tips of that flower or what ever I made up there but completely forgot till it was in the house.
This shot is older for I put a 4 way heart in that cup right before I shot the clear on.
This thing turned out much better than I was expecting for I was seeing many first time things to have to over come before I would have a complete project.
We sure didn't need something holding salt so it will probably be a candy dish of sorts.
Now I'm lost for I don't see anywhere to push enter so I guess I will loose all this typing!!!