Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Patriot Woodworker

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Band Saw Blade Repairing

Featured Replies

I have a small band saw that I use quite often. Since the wheels are small in diameter, blade breakage becomes an issue. At first I just bought new blades to replace the broken ones. Well that gets old fast and pricey. Now I am looking to repair the broken ones. Anyone out there repair their blades with silver solder? Have you had success with repairs? Any advice would be appreciated.




www.benchtopwoodworkingtools.com

Robert, I am going to just go with my own horse sense here, and since your bandsaw is so small, and the blade breaks, I cannot see that repair lasting at all with those small dia wheels, by the way what size wheels do you have?


Also, there are bandsaw blades made especially for small bandsaws. And there is a company that specializes in these. As a  matter of fact I believe Charles Nichols on our site was having the same issues and he switched to these blades and I have not heard him having any issues with premature breakage since, here is the company.


The Three Wheeler Bandsaw Blade Company



I know they are called the Three Wheel Bandsaw Blade Company, but they sell specialized blades for small two wheelers too. There is a big difference between the thickness of a blade for 14" BS machines, and smaller machines. And even though you may be purchasing smaller blades for your unit, most manufactures just don't get it. They simply use the same stock that they use for their larger machines, and you cannot do that.


Let me know if you have any further questions.






John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-8612-72.jpg?width=90

I think John may be on to something.  The problem isn't the welding or soldering of the blades, it is the annealing process.  The silver solder would hold the weld but is there a way to anneal it afterwards to remove the brittleness?




Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Above and Beyond WoodWorks

  • Author

Ron, most of the blades that have broken, broke somewhere other than where the weld is.




www.benchtopwoodworkingtools.com

OK but any weld must be annealed or it will be brittle and break.




Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Above and Beyond WoodWorks

  • Author

Couldn't you coil up the blade and put it in, say, a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or so?





www.benchtopwoodworkingtools.com

In smaller wheels, blades are subjected to continual greater flexing compared to larger wheels. This will cause the blade to brittle and break. You should use thinner blade and lower speed. I hope I got you correctly, your blade is breaking at any random place ; not just in the weld, right? I can't totally say if it's a quality problem. Tension and guides could be the problem too. In repairing your blade, you can either use silver solder or TIG the broken blade . You may want to search instructions on blade welding.




Take the first step, it will lead you to the LAST.
www.bandsawblog.com

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.