Painting frustration on project

Allen Worsham

Well, it looks like I will have to wait until next week to get the rocking chair for my niece's new baby boy done and shipped off to her in Phoenix, AZ. It has 6 separate pieces painted in 4 primary colors (red, blue, green and yellow). Even though the weather was cooler and we had some rain, it was only the blue paint that caused problems. It would go on great but when it dried it would have patches that didn't dry right and would bubble up. I had an extra seat back and tried it again and got the same thing. So I will have to let those cure for a few days and then sand them down and start over again. All the pieces were from the same sheet of plywood and had a good primer coat of Kilz Primer and the paint turned out just fine on them in the other colors. I have used this specific brand of paint for a number of years with great results, and the other 3 colors went on without a hitch. So I figure that there was something with the can of blue paint I used. Good thing my grand nephew is only a month and a half old so I can get away with a little hiccup in the process.

Allen Worsham
Corona, CA

allenworsham@earthlink.net

'Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk.'
J. Vernon McGee

“Our greatest fear should not be that we won’t succeed,
but that we will succeed at something that doesn’t matter.â€
D.L. Moody

I know it is not the same thing, but I had some wipe on Poly that did something similar when applied to plywood. The poly dried fine on solid wood but remained sticky for a long time on the plywood. I wondered if it had something to do with the tissue thin top veneer and the bonding agent used in the plywood.

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

Plywood is glued together with urea formaldehyde glue.  Rarely is anything else used..

That adhesive won't  telegraph and interact with any kind of paint or other finish.

The fact that you used a pre coat of killz tells me that you  probably didn't have a contaminated  surface.  An old school  restoration trick for  furniture that was treated with silicone waxes is to spray from a distance ( so it's mostly dry when it lands) several coats of shellac and after several coats the final finish is quickly applied before the silicone can transport though the shellac.

That leaves the paint.   Was it very old?  I've had very old paint take months to cure off.  It was annoying

Archived