Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Harry Brink

Letter Printing Program

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Harry Brink -
Karl Taylor -

Top Posters

I'm looking for a letter printing program to use for desk name plates. The letters would be "free" standing and mounted to a base. Is there such a thing or do I just need to wing it and make my own?

Thanks

Harry Brink
Bulldog Woodworking
Montana

Maybe you could print each individual letter using a computer and a word processing program. My Microsoft Word has a place to increase the font size to very large sizes. I can even type in a font size that is not listed. Making the letters bolded or picking a font that specifically uses thick lettering might do the trick.

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

Harry, I normally make mine using PowerPoint with Edwardian Script font.  If the name runs off the page I will either duplicate that page and move the text box or just start a new paragraph at the closest letter.  Another thing I do is to make sure I underline the entire name.  This way I can line up the letters when they cross the page.

Hope this helps.

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
'Soooooo many patterns - sooooo little time'
Scroll Saw Forum Host
'Stop complaining about the storm and learn to dance in the rain.'

Harry

I use MS Word for making mine. I also believe Steve Good has a small program to do what you are looking for too.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Gotta agree with Fred, power point has hundreds of fonts to choose from and you control the size.  I would imagine you could do the same with micro word too.  I transfer all of my lettering over that way.  I also use it to increase or decrease any artwork that I transfer over.  You can take photos and print them in B&W to follow the lines easier for transferring.  I guess this isn't as big a deal for some people, but for me when carving I need to do the initial transfer of graphics to the wood, and power point seems to let me have much more versatility than word or other programs.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm going to play with it some more in the next few days. Too cold in the shop ( 1* for the low tonight and almost a foot of snow on the ground ) to get out there and do much of anything, so I'll stay inside and get some patterns made.

Harry Brink
Bulldog Woodworking
Montana

I got to fooling around with this and found a Scrollsaw font in WordPad. I think I can make this work for now.

It prints the letters with a under lined base so they're connected.

Harry Brink
Bulldog Woodworking
Montana

Harry

I have Corel Draw 6. Brother it is not a cheap program. I love it but for modifying text, I use MS Office. Not cheap either but hey, what is these days?

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

For what I do and as much as I would use Corel, I'll just use what I have.

I did check out dafont.com and there's a lot there. I'll have to check it out more and see which ones I could use.

Harry Brink
Bulldog Woodworking
Montana

Sign in to follow this