Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fred Wilson

Scrolling Tips and Tricks - #0 - Ready for them????

We have been thinking over the past several weeks that a new series of threads about scrolling would be a great addition to the forum.  Scrolling is a unique woodworking area that many woodworkers don't get into and therefore does not receive much attention on standard woodworking forums.

While sitting at the saw today, a wild thought came in my brain. For 2014, why don't we start a series of "Tips and Tricks" threads for the scroll saw.

To name just a few that immediately come to mind:

• Cutting outside corners
  • Cutting Inside corners
  • Burning on projects
  • Blade choice for different media
  • And any others that we can think up

What do you guys think?

Good idea that we can ALL benefit and discuss?

Nah, I'm pretty set in my ways?

I'll have to think about it.

Let me know, please. I'm thinking of a new thread every week on Tuesdays..  Possibility of making a "WIKI" on our thoughts?  Archival threads that we can all come back to at a later date?

Gene PM'ed me regarding "common knowledge" there all scrollers should know.  Gene - common knowledge to the scroller means putting the blade in right side up  :)    Everything else, not so much.  This I have learned over the years.  One thing that I have found (and teach).  There is NO right or wrong way to scroll.  There is, however, the best way for the individual scroller.  What works for me might be a pain in the "fingers" for someone else.  That, to me, is the joy of sharing tips and tricks with other scrollers.

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
'Soooooo many patterns - sooooo little time'
Scroll Saw Forum Host
'Stop complaining about the storm and learn to dance in the rain.'

I'm all for it, Fred. Many of the tips I can offer will be of the type " This doesn't work". :-) I've got lots of those. I can use all the tips, tricks and techniques I can get.

Here's my first tip. The blade's teeth should point down....usually.

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

I'm for the scroll saw tips and tricks. I'm still trying to learn it. Only tip I have is make a pattern on white paper and the tape it with clear packing tape to your wood . Makes it easier for me to see since I. Have less vision. The tape also lubricates the blade a little. Only problem with it is you have to keep moving your light because of the glare on the tape. If you don't want to use tape you can always use a light coat of spray adhesive to keep pattern on wood. Sands off easily.

I've been using blue painters tape on the wood and then spray glue the pattern to it.

There are a few times that the tape wants to fight when I take it off but I'll use a hair dryer to warm it up and then it comes right off.

I don't get any glare doing it this way.

When doing compound cuts, after the first side I will wrap some packing tape around it to help hold the pieces together.

Harry Brink
Bulldog Woodworking
Montana

Lewis Kauffman said:

Not a tip, but a question- what is the "correct" tension for the blade and how do I know if I have it correct??

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

Lew, When you have your blade tensioned, pluck it like a guitar string. If the tension is correct you will hear a clear High C note.

Don R

Thanks, guys, for the quick responses.  All good topics for discussion.  I will start the first TOPIC tonight (just to keep it on a Tuesday).

I think we will ALL benefit from each other's experiences.

Fred

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
'Soooooo many patterns - sooooo little time'
Scroll Saw Forum Host
'Stop complaining about the storm and learn to dance in the rain.'

Sounds like a great idea Fred. While your making a list, you might pencil in stack cutting. There is a lot more to scrolling then people realize, but for me it is also a great way to relax.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Wayne - on the list

Wayne Mahler said:

Sounds like a great idea Fred. While your making a list, you might pencil in stack cutting. There is a lot more to scrolling then people realize, but for me it is also a great way to relax.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Fred,

Great idea and may I add...

Contact paper vice tape.  I purchase a $9.00 roll of clear contact paper to cut and place on wood vice using tape. Then I spray my pattern (only the pattern) and place it on the contact paper.  When done everything peels right off with no residue.  For the price your get a roll that is 20 inches wide by 10 feet long or so and it can do a whole lot of patterns...

Ken