Sign in to follow this  
John Moody

It's Friday, What's on Your Patriot Woodworking Agenda this Weekend?

Wow after the cold week and a little bit of snow that shut down the south, it is in the mid 50's today and could be as high as 65 tomorrow. We won't get to celebrate too long as there is another of these cold waves sweeping across the country to get here. I was so hoping you all up North would just hang on to this stuff and keep it up there. Southern's have no idea what to do with snow!

DowntownFlorence1282014.bmpThis was downtown Florence on the 28th and this was enough to bring havoc on the area.

DowntownFlorence12820142.bmpFrom the roof top of our Government Building.

LookingSouthDowntownFlorence1282014.bmpAnd from the top of the building looking South toward the Tennessee River.

I did get one night in my shop. Even with it being insulated, I worked one night for about 2 1/2 hours and by the time I stopped and both gas heaters running, it was finally 60* in the shop. So I took the opportunity to get some planning done and ready to glue up with the warmer weather on Saturday. I have about three projects that need to be glued and a little sanding and things will start to take shape.

So what is on your Patriot Woodworking Agenda this weekend. We love so much to see the projects you are creating and would love for you to post your weekend projects here in this thread for all to enjoy. You never know who you might inspire to give it a try and build something like you have built.

So we are waiting to see what you are doing, Start posting those projects here and share with the rest of us your plans.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-5492-24.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Warm and cozy in the Dungeon Shop.   Have a few planks to mill up into a chest-like box.  Think 16bf of black walnut will be enough? ning-imag0031-5508-80.jpg?width=721Might get to use a few planes on it, tooning-imag0033-5508-31.jpg?width=721Sargent #414c, a Dunlap (Stanley made) #4, and a "lazy" Windsor #33 scrub plane. 

Have some "bad" spots to work aroundning-imag0036-5508-23.jpg?width=721Cut this out, or use???

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

It's a balmy 9 degrees now but the shop is toasty 55. I'll be working the real job tomorrow so may only get a few hours in the shop in the evening to work on some chip and dip servers.

Round Barn WoodCrafts, Plymouth WI
roundbarnwoodcrafts@hotmail.com

Working on summer show stock.

Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Above and Beyond WoodWorks

by the way John, our roads look like that after the plowing is done.

John,

ning-funny1-5504-78.gif

To us thats just a dusting of snow.

I'll have to send a real snowstorm your way!

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-5504-8.gif

Steve if the knot is tight I would keep it in and fill the voids with epoxy.

Larry, we got 3" of flurries today. did you southerners (90 miles) get anything?

John,

I'm not sure how much we got today, but between last night and this morning I shoveled about 5" worth.

It's still snowing here (say this with a southern drawl now ya'all ) in Southeastern Wisconsin.

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-5502-83.gif 
John Hechel said:

Steve if the knot is tight I would keep it in and fill the voids with epoxy.

Larry, we got 3" of flurries today. did you southerners (90 miles) get anything?

ning-chinscratch-5501-54.gif

"Southern's have no idea what to do with snow!"

Well now John,

We had 12 days in January that the daytime high didn't make it to 0°, and 3 days that it made it to freezing.

So while I was out shoveling the 5" of snow we got last night and this morning I had a good long talk with "Old Man Winter", and "Mother Nature" and asked why we should be having all this fun, without sharing it with  "Ya'all Southern's"?

They both agreed with this ( say this with a southern drawl ya'all ) Southeastern Wisconsonite, that we should share the fun.

ning-twothumbsup-5501-20.gif

So there's a foot of snow, along with 3 days of below 0° weather headed ya'alls way.

ning-devillaughing-5501-52.gif

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-5501-22.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

Thanks for wanting to share the snow, but I would rather you just go ahead and keep it.

This weekend I got this Cherry Sink Board finished. I had a person order this to fit their sink opening so it can be dropped in and give them extra counter space to serve from. It of course can be but on, but I don't think she will be cutting on this one as she has one of the end grain ones.

ning-img-2925-5500-6.jpg?width=721I also got this Poplar TV stand together for a friend of mine. I will be painted black.

ning-img-2923-5500-66.jpg?width=721Got to get it sanded tomorrow night and then painted.

I am working on a Cherry Blanket Chest and got the pieces for the end panels glued into sections.

ning-img-2924-5500-91.jpg?width=721So I got some work done and feel productive again.

Hope you all got some time in the shop and got to work on some projects.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-5500-74.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

I got 4 fruit bowls routed, a counter top sanded and cut to size, 10 lazy Susan cut out and 4 more b lied up, and only 22 end grain cutting boards glued.

Wow John, now I don't feel so productive.

You have been one busy dude!

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-5498-8.jpg?http://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com

we're attempting to get ahead for the show season. our thinking is that we can then work on new items and just have to worry about replacing what we sold.

John Moody said:

Wow John, now I don't feel so productive.

You have been one busy dude!

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-5497-70.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com

John, that is a great idea. I had planned to be ahead this year and then had knee surgery on the 31st of December. But I am up and around and doing better.

Sounds like you got a really good jump on it.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-5496-74.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com

I don't have as much inventory as I'd like but after being under the gun most of last fall we are forcing ourselves to battle the cold and spend time in the shop.

ning-hooray-5494-91.jpgFinished constructing the doors for a jewelry chest last week end. They are F&P with a flush to the front panel of Curly Maple. There's an 1/8" walnut inlay around the curly, between the panel and the rails and stiles.

Yesterday, I tweaked the fit and sanded everything to 180. Today, the Charles Neil blotch control stuff goes on. Sand tomorrow, then another coat and a day to dry. Finally, stain on Thursday and HOPEFULLY first coat of finish on Friday. I hope to get it to UPS by Tuesday, next week. 

Then, on to a ring box for our son's wedding. Will be using the miter joint bit for construction of the walnut box, with a curly maple scrap for an inset on the lid. 

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Using a handplane for almost all the work......IS A CARDIO workout.    Leaves me slumped in the computer chair after a couple hours.  

Might get a tool chest ready for some glue ups by next week.....

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Sign in to follow this  

Who We Are

Operation Ward 57 Challenge Coin Display Project

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our American veterans and active duty, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. Join us now!

Objective

Air Force Command Center Plaque

Of course just like most online woodworking communities we are centralized in the arts, crafts, and trades that are woodworking. But, we have another focus in our Patriot Woodworker community, we are the only woodworking community that was founded on our care and concern for our disabled veterans.

Volunteer

Patriot Woodworker Volunteers

The Patriot Woodworkers are an all volunteer community, from the staff and hosts who run our online woodworking community to the members who frequent our forums, you'll find volunteers in all of us. We are not on a payroll, unless you consider the spiritual rewards gained from volunteering, as compensation.

Education

Logging

One of the many projects we are working on is a wiki for our online community. A wiki is a great way for woodworkers and enthusiasts to share their knowledge to others, and to impart their knowledge for others to learn from, and utilize as well for their own benefit. We hope you'll consider being a wiki contributor.