WorkBench Magazine September/October 1966

Here we go again folks! Another fine old classic publication from our collection of 1960's Workbench Magazine. As you all know by now, the old Workbench is gone, defunct, non existent, I contacted the new Workbench and they could care less if we post these old plans and articles.

I will post the cover and the contents and remember if you want to see something, just holler and I'll get up on here for you.

For this edition we went ahead and scanned the Stage Coach Part 2 to accompany the Stage Coach Part 1 that we uploaded awhile back. You can find both at the Free Plans and Drawings Page.

You can click on the Stage Coach Plans image below to be taken to the Free Plans and Drawings Page, then scroll down to the "Old WorkBench Plans From the 1960's" portion and look for both Stage Coach Part 1 and Part 2. They are in alphabetical order. We have also uploaded the PDF file below for direct download off this discussion. Have fun folks!

ning-workbenchcoverseptoct1966-2547-4.jpning-tableofcontents-2547-82.jpg?width=7Click on the Stage Coach Plan Part 2, Page 1 below to be taken to the Free Plans and Drawings Page.

ning-stagecoachpart2-0001-2547-90.jpg?wi

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-2547-19.jpg?width=90

Sure thing Charles, the ideal boys room indeed!

Charles Nicholls said:

Wish I had all those models on the shelves, that would be cool.

Charles Nicholls
nicholls61@att.net
Proud supporter of The Wounded Warrior Project, Homes For Our Troops and the NRA

http://www.etsy.com/shop/nichollswoodworks

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-2563-87.jpg?width=90

This is my first post on what seems to be a wonderful and very friendly forum. I wish I had a stack of those old mags. I do enjoy just about anything that has a historic element related to it. I'm going to look around a bit more on the message boards and see what other gems I can find. Thanks for taking your time to post this article.

Tom

Your very welcome Tom, we have many more to come, I believe our collection goes up to 1972 so we have plenty of material in these old WorkBench Magazines.

And you are right, our community is very friendly, practically zero drama, and a very helpful bunch. Thanks for the kind comments Tom.

Tom Wilcox said:

This is my first post on what seems to be a wonderful and very friendly forum. I wish I had a stack of those old mags. I do enjoy just about anything that has a historic element related to it. I'm going to look around a bit more on the message boards and see what other gems I can find. Thanks for taking your time to post this article.

Tom

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-2560-63.jpg?width=90

Here ya go Steve, although it appears there is a misprint in the table of contents, the actual page is called Model Makers Tool Chest. I don't know you can use it or not, sorry for the poor scan quality on the first sheet.

See attached PDF below.

Cheers

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-2553-9.jpg?width=90

Thanks for posting that. Here's an image (Posted below)

Q: Do you think they mention building the case then cutting it into sections because very young woodworkers would be doing this? I find that a bit odd but have seen people doing it that way in the past.

Additionally, this would be a good tool cabinet for a workshop, just re-size it and eliminate the door.

ning-mmbench-2552-17.jpg

Perhaps Mark, cutting the lid off the case for something simple as this would be a quick way of doing it. I have used this method many times, build the entire box, then simply run the box through the table saw to create the lid. On finer furnishings I may do that, but then I may not, just depends on what kind of look I want to achieve such as matching grain between the lid and case etc. But ya, cutting the lid off is common practice.

I do prefer however in most cases to build the lid separately because typically I don't want the grain to run through the lid.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-2551-12.jpg?width=90

That is one of the things I would run into Mark when running a small case across the table saw (inconsistent edges), even with a finely tuned table saw I have a hard time getting perfectly matching cuts between the lid and case or small box, but that does not mean the table saw was the issue, more often it was the operator, me! Or, the box is out of square just a micro and I'd get uneven lid cuts. So I tend to stay away from that method, but for doing rough boxes anymore, like a "throw your crud in that plywood box" sort of box or a box that your just gonna throw in the back of your pickup truck I'll just run it through the table saw.

Talking about this now, I am thinking back the last time I actually did this on a nice piece of work, and I cannot remember it's been so long, like you I prefer to build the lid separately, and in most cases my lids do not have sides, it's just a "lid" as you'd see on a blanket chest.

And, while talking about this, one thing I have not tried is band sawing the lid off a small box, I have seen folks do that, hmmm.

Mark Wisecarver said:

Agree, which is a point Tommy Mac is making most of the time.
If I were doing this by hand I'd choose the boards and make the cuts so the grain would match.
The main thing that would keep me from trying the sections method would be the higher chance of inconsistent sawn edges.
Always good to discuss these things over Espresso. ;)

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-2549-39.jpg?width=90

Archived