Rust Hunting for "Treasure"?

steven newman

Spent part of the day going to a few yard sales, in the rain.  Wound up with about $15 worth of.....Goodies?ning-imag0096-1709-89.jpg?width=750Yes, that is a brake adjuster tool in the middle.   A couple chisels, one  of which is 1-1/2" wide.   The other is 3/4" wide.    A 10" Barce and a few bits,  a 5/16, and  16/16" bit, along with a 1" expansion bit.  The brace has a samson style chuck, but it's marked "JAPAN"     the large knob had a blow out, the retainer sleeve came apart.   Still usable, used it to drill a couple holes for a swing's ropes to go through the seat. 

That thing that looks like a block plane?    Seems to be a Stanley Handyman #1248  or 1249.   Kind of hard to make out the last number.  There were acouple of chisels, one being handle-less and 1-1/2" wide!  The handled one is 3/4" wide.   Which brings me to the last item in the grab bagning-imag0099-1709-93.jpg?width=750This 1" wide "rasp"   Even has a Patent date:   Pat. DEC 12 05   Teeth on this big guy look like  ((((((((((((  and the edges are not smoothed/safed, either.   As is, it is 14" long, and looks like it had lost a piece on the end.  Not sure if this is for wood work, or to give a horse a manicure? 

Mail came, too.    Small box had a few bits in itning-imag0102-1709-26.jpg?width=750Six of them, largest being a 20/16 size.  I might be set as to bits, I think.  

Just not sure about that big ugly rasp....

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Looks like you had a great rust hint Steve. I had a good one also. I'll post some pictures later. One item had a patent date of August 5 1873.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-1710-79.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Archived