And....this was the pick of the litter?

steven newman

$5 for the rust hunt, that is all I have.    One stop took care of that.    One box had a few squares, and braces...$2 a piece.    Have enough of those.   Another box had seven plane shaped objects in it.

A Stanley #81.......Blade might have been ok, but the sole was trshed, not worth $5

A Wards #5  Handles were nasty, rusted up eveything.   Pass @ $5

Three other #5 shaped things, didn't even touch them, same with an almost rusted away #4,  iron wasn't even worth the effort...PASS

Then this thing said "Take me1"ning-imag0113-1504-41.jpg?width=750w2ell at first glance, there was that chip out.  Well, $5 wasn't too hateful, so it came home. 

Got to cleaning things off, most cleaned up nicely.    However, will cleaning the base casting, the sand paper torening-imag0112-1504-16.jpg?width=750about as clear as the camera gets.   That be a CRACK, a lousy crack at the mouth!   The Good news?

Well, there happens to be a spare casting in da housening-imag0114-1504-44.jpg?width=750My $0.01 Craftsman made by Millers Falls #5C  BB   Same size.    Nice to have "back up" if needed.     $5 one is a Type 4,  the penny plane is a type 3.     Should work out... stay tuned.

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Well, got it all cleaned up.   Put it back together for a test run.   trying to see IF the crack would get any worse.ning-imag0113-1510-78.jpg?width=721didn't even sharpen the iron,    yet.   ning-imag0115-1510-25.jpg?width=721the rest cleaned up, decently.   Crack didn't get any worse, either.   Might go back and sharpen the iron up. ning-imag0114-1510-83.jpg?width=721Figure I can baby this along for awhile.   Just a five dollah jack plane...

Went back down to the Dungeon Shop this morning.   Fired up the grinder, as the iron's edge was a bit out of square.   Edge is now about straight, and hollow ground.    Then a trip or some sandpaper, up to 2K grit.    Placed the new iron back into the plane, and took a test drive or twoning-imag0114-1508-87.jpg?width=721Seemed to do ok, since I had rounded the corners a bit to get rid of tracks.   Then a swipe or two on the Walnutning-imag0113-1508-44.jpg?width=721Might just be a keeper?    Crack so far is stable.   Might wax up the sole and call it good. 

Nice find. I know you had to get one home and start cleaning and then see a crack and wonder why I didn't see that before I bought it. I have done that a couple of times. I try to look close but I have missed a few.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-1507-63.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Archived