Got dragged along on the Yard Sale Route

steven newman

Hit a few sales today.   Picked a tool box for a set of sockets i have floating around loose.    Nice long green long. Label inside says it is for a 3/8"  S & K Socket set.....Of course, those parts were NOT in the box.   Metal box was $0.50

Picked a fine cut half round rasp, about a foot long, by 1" wide, no handle ( I think I could make one) for a quarter.    Seems to be SHARP, too. 

Two SMALL  screwdrivers.   By small I mean these are 1" long in the shaft.   Both are slotted screws.  One had a thinner blade.    Both for $0.20

A Dunlap  Block plane, that the owners thought was made of silver.    $10?     Could not talk the price down, either.   Under the silver coloured capiron is a #306 and a #307  so this was made by Sargent, for Sears.  ning-imag0145-879-91.jpg?width=750There it is, sitting on the "other" pick item of the day.    Craftsman 22" Kromedge Satin Cut Mitresaw.   A bit rusty, back rollers are a bit sticky.  Saw itself seems to be sharp.    About the main use this saw has seen was to be a Home for Wayward Spiders.   Will give it a rehab, just to see IF I can find a spot for it, in the Dungeon Shop.   BTW:  Saw was a whoping $5!!!

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Plane has been cleaned and sharpened.    Seems that the Nickle plating was coming off, sooo they spray painted the plated parts,,,,,silver.   Got that junk off, wire wheeled the plating off, wasn't much left.    Metal is now nice and shined up.   Iron cleaned and sharpened up.

Saw will take a bit longer.....

Steve, you recently acquired a saw tooth set didn't you? You'll get to use it now.

steven newman said:

Plane has been cleaned and sharpened.    Seems that the Nickle plating was coming off, sooo they spray painted the plated parts,,,,,silver.   Got that junk off, wire wheeled the plating off, wasn't much left.    Metal is now nice and shined up.   Iron cleaned and sharpened up.

Saw will take a bit longer.....

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-882-13.jpg?width=90

Today was a repeat,   picked a set of nutdrivers, for $4

Another place had a Wood bodied plane.    An Ohio Tool Co. plane.     22" long, with a 2-1/2" wide, tapered iron.

The iron is the only thing metal on this plane.     Nice wedge, intact tote.  Sole has a bit of a curve to it, right up by the toe.   MIGHT flatten it a bit.   There is some splinter damage topside, right over the toe area.    Too many whacks there?   Had sharpened the iron a bit.   It will plane a piece of wood right now.  

Not too hateful of a Rust Hunt weekend

Archived