September 3, 201412 yr comment_177 The table is complete and in hiding until September 27th. Seems the project is a bit covert and only a few know that the table was being built so I'll hide it out for a few weeks. Probably a good thing too. This finish is a bit green and I want to let it sit a spell and then give it a good coat of Trewax. I shellaced the underneath side to seal it but the new owners wanted a hard finish in case grape juice or wine was spilled on it so I used the proven wipe on satin poly technique. Four coats worth. The wood was quite dry and the first coat soaked in deeply giving the piece a very deep, rich color. Take a look. Ron DudelstonSite AdministratorAbove and Beyond WoodWorks Report
September 3, 201412 yr comment_182 A very beautiful communion table Ron. Excellent craftsmanship and a superb finish. Has a nice warm look that makes you want to run your hand across it. I love the way it all came together. John MoodySite Administratorhttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying Report
September 3, 201412 yr comment_181 Ditto what John said. It must have taken a bunch of sand paper to get that top finished! Lew Kauffman-Wood Turners Forum HostTime Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins! Report
September 3, 201412 yr Author comment_180 Actually Lew, I did more scraping than sanding. I used an old set of planer blades as a makeshift cabinet scraper to level the whole top. John, as my friend Bob Hodge said about the top, "It is petable."Ron DudelstonSite AdministratorAbove and Beyond WoodWorks Report
September 3, 201412 yr comment_179 Great job on that table Ron!Allen WorshamCorona, CAallenworsham@gmail.com'Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk.' J. Vernon McGee“Our greatest fear should not be that we won’t succeed, but that we will succeed at something that doesn’t matter.†D.L. Moody Report
September 3, 201412 yr comment_178 Outstanding! Gene'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton Report
September 8, 201412 yr comment_54372 Great job Ron, and remember folks, install your images in the proper gallery, for example, tables and such would be good to create an album in Furniture gallery. Baby steps for all of us for awhile guys! Report
September 9, 201412 yr comment_54394 I love the way this table turned out Ron. That grain is gorgeous. Report
September 17, 201412 yr Author comment_54698 Thanks guys. The grand unveiling will be September 28th. Right now it is still in my workshop. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.