2 hours ago2 hr comment_381420 When some finishes (most often shellac or lacquer) get moisture, like from a drip or condensation on a glass or pizza box, they blush or turn whitish. What can you do to resolve this?I've used several methods.Some people say put down a cloth and run an iron over it. I tried this once and it damaged the finish. REJECT Also people say heat with a hair drier. Nah.Other people say rub on some mayonnaise and let sit overnight, then wipe off. This was not a good option for a repair call to do this, tell them to wipe it off in the morning and hope that it worked and you don't have to go back. Also, Bob Flexner once told me he wished he'd never recommended doing this. REJECTOil of some sort and cigarette ashes. I don't smoke.My go-to was to use a wiping cloth made especially for removing the spots. It always worked. But it left a spot that was bit oily and maybe a bit glossier. No problem to clean up and it with some touch-up spray. (see attachment)Proprietary products, normally a slow or weak solvent. Might be called a "restorer", "blush eliminator", "ring remover," or "reflow solution." Applied and left to dry. I had a regular customer who was in a site with a too-small warehouse. So often the pieces needing work were in a semi trailer backed up to a dock. I'd spray on some touch up spray and it would blush during the humid summer weather. So then I'd have to spray on some blush remover and let it dry for several minutes. Then repeat multiple times.My go-to was to use a wiping cloth made especially for removing the spots. It always worked. But it left a spot that was bit oily and maybe a bit glossier. No problem to clean up and it with some touch-up spray. (see attachment)In a severe case, a moving blanket was on a leaking moving van and blushed an antique piece. The owner, who must watch Antiques Road Show, did not want it stripped and refinished. I used the cloths above, working but slow. Since I figured on the age it was probably shellac, I put some denatured alcohol on a cloth and did a quick land-and-take-off wipe. The blush disappeared immediatelyWHITE-RING-REMOVER-HOMAX_823c9ae6-ffa1-41f7-bda1-791cd77f5ebd.eaec0694bbbdf2d16998f2226fbbe2e9.pdf Edited 2 hours ago2 hr by kmealy Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.