Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Patriot Woodworker

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Renovating the stairs

Featured Replies

The stairs on the house are past due for replacement. And so , it begins:

Pictures when I can get it to work.

20260911_101838.jpg

20260911_101813.jpg

Edited by Wichman3

That's probably not a scroll saw project.

  • Author
  • Popular Post

I ordered the stringers from Home Depot (free delivery to my front door), they arrived today, so I got to work. Disassembled the stairs. All but two of the treads were serviceable, so they were set aside. Because of the price difference I ordered the five step stringer. I could have cut off one step, but instead I used the top step too bump out the porch at the step. This allowed me to set the bottom of the stringer on the concrete sidewalk to keep the stringers out of the dirt. I used the recommended strongtie connector to attach the stringers to the wall, I also used a 2x6 to support the bottom of the stringers. The previous install used two stringers, I used three.

I was able to get the stairs usable before running out of energy. Tomorrow I'll go to Ace hardware for more screws and incidentals.

I'll work on the handrails tomorrow and put a fresh coat of paint on it and traction additive for the treads.

20260915_160829.jpg

20260915_173210.jpg

  • Author
On 9/11/2026 at 1:20 PM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

That's probably not a scroll saw project.

I could add some scroll saw panels to the hand rails. 🤪

  • Popular Post

Nice work Wichman. You could add a riser & scroll saw your address.

  • Author
2 hours ago, DuckSoup said:

Nice work Wichman. You could add a riser & scroll saw your address.

I was planning to add risers. Incorporating scroll saw designs is an excellent idea, thank you. If you look at the before picture it shows the fancy address numbers above the door. 🙂

  • Author

How about this for the risers

From the top going down

"Do you have a warrent"

"Warning"

"Nothing in this house"

" is worth your life"

" FAFO"

Too edgy? 🙃

How about one sentence spread over the risers: "Accepting God is the best way to heaven, but trespassing here is faster".

  • Author

I saw this on a house years ago, "Death may occur upon entry "

Two more for your consideration...

"If you can read this, you're in range."

"We don't call 911."

Don't forget the old stand by "protected by Smith and Wesson😁

  • Author

What makes the grass grow?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.