August 30, 20251 yr Popular Post comment_360904 Hello gentlemen, I picked this Disston rasp for $1 at my local flea market. 1Can anyone tell me if this is machine or hand stitched? The teeth look pretty uniform, but it is stamped Disston USA on the tang; no and sons. I know they stopped making these in the 1930s. Also, do you think a brass brush would damage the teeth? Thank you. Report
August 30, 20251 yr Popular Post comment_360912 Not an expert on these but I agree with you on the symmetrical patterns. Report
August 30, 20251 yr Author Popular Post comment_360913 9 minutes ago, lew said: Not an expert on these but I agree with you on the symmetrical patterns. Thanks. Yes, pretty sure it is a machine stitch. Doesn't matter. The rasp I have is made of chinesium. This is a far superior tool regardless. I think a brash wire brush in my drill will clean it up without damage to the teeth. They should be hardened to a great enough degree that the brass won't effect them. Got yard work right now, but maybe this evening or sometime next week. Thanks, Lew! Report
August 30, 20251 yr Popular Post comment_360915 Well, I found this on "tools for working wood", I remember reading before but wasn't sure where I had found it. Anyway: According to Michel Auriou, the maker of Auriou hand-cut rasps, the best way to clean a rasp is using an all natural bristle brush. He says that metal brushes of any kind, brass or steel, will eventually dull the rasp and shorten its life. This might be unique to hand stitched rasps (Auriou) or not, but it might worth thinking about. That said, it might be a good idea to get the rust off with a brass brush and then change methods. Edited August 30, 20251 yr by Fred W. Hargis Jr Report
August 30, 20251 yr Popular Post comment_360916 Although I have never tried it I've heard that an overnight bath in vinegar will take the ruse off and add to the sharpness at the same tine. Check on YouTube for videos. Report
August 30, 20251 yr comment_360917 I've done that sharpening a couple times, first with vinegar and next with nitric acid. I did the nitric more to get the ferric nitrate solution that results - great for staining maple. I forget the time I left them in, but with nitric it was short. I did some tests with old chainsaw files before putting anything good in there! That Disston looks machine stitched to me. I would clean the rust off with some mild acid like vinegar and a plastic or hair scrub brush. Rinse thoroughly and neutralize with some baking soda. Edited August 30, 20251 yr by JWD Report
August 30, 20251 yr Author Popular Post comment_360918 I think the brass wheel worked just fine. It is slightly duller at the tip on the round side, but it was that way when I bought it it the flat side nor The rest of the teeth are any less sharp than they were. It's nice and sharp and burns through white ash. So I call that win win. Edited August 30, 20251 yr by Handfoolery Report
August 30, 20251 yr Author Popular Post comment_360919 Dan, thanks. I tried the vinegar with an old Nicholson cabinetmaker's rasp and did not get any results at all, but I think that rasp was too far gone in the first place. I'm way happy with the results I got with this one. It might in fact be a bit too aggressive; I'm pretty certain I'm going to need to be very cautious when first introducing it to wood. Report
August 31, 20251 yr Popular Post comment_360979 I have always heard Apple Cider Vinegar. If you leave metal in it too long it will etch badly. Report
August 31, 20251 yr Popular Post comment_360988 I have sent some rasps and files to Boggs. They do a great job for just a few dollars plus return shipping. If it's not salvageable, they will either return or trash, at your choice. https://boggstool.com/ Edited August 31, 20251 yr by kmealy Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.