March 11, 20251 yr comment_353476 This has been driving me crazy for years. The builder is a custom shop or he says he is. I feel he is a cabinet guy trying to move towards furniture. He sells just the top unit for $800. This was in 2020. No clue on the current price. Im a poker guy so this interest me. I see a few things that need to be changed. I have a lot of walnut I can use on this. It missing a furniture touch… Opinions? Edited March 11, 20251 yr by BillyJack Report
March 11, 20251 yr comment_353488 It looks kind of "Box Shaped" for my taste, but what do I know about style A while back, I got "conned" into making a cigar humidor. It started as a desk top designed but each design was rejected until it became a full fledged, upright, free stand cabinet. I had agreed to a trade of a pickup load of air dried walnut 4" x 16" x 10'. Still came out slightly ahead when finished. All this is said as a preface to these pictures Report
March 11, 20251 yr comment_353493 I agree about the box shape, but having been shorted severely on creative/artistic genes I'm not sure what to do about it. Report
March 11, 20251 yr Author comment_353498 The cabinet isn’t a bad design, but it needs more furniture touches.... Report
March 11, 20251 yr Author comment_353499 Lou it’s a nice cabinet, but I can’t use those legs in my design.. All this refers to my picture.. The height of the door in front should have been the same height as the flat panels on the side.. Doesn't look like the front matched the face frame. He tried to support the center shelf with a stick. If he is going to use bread board on top , he should have dont pe it on the bottom shelf. He needs dovetails on the rollouts.. Edited March 11, 20251 yr by BillyJack Report
March 11, 20251 yr comment_353501 Thanks!!! 8 minutes ago, BillyJack said: but I can’t use those legs in my design.. Those legs were a change made by the person who wanted the humidor. My first experience with making them. I usually design/make Shaker inspired stuff. You can't tell from the pictures but above the door is a drawer. The top of the humidor is fixed. Report
March 11, 20251 yr comment_353503 Whenever I see a cabinet on legs, I think of James Krenov. And vice-versa. Report
March 12, 20251 yr Author comment_353531 They have made jewelry cabinets for years. As a poker player the cabinet would have a purpose. He did have the drawer on wood slides, which is correct.. Edited March 12, 20251 yr by BillyJack Report
March 13, 20251 yr Author comment_353596 So this project entertains several woodworking tasks. Dovetails, chip trays, tapered legs, etc. I do not like the sides of the box as it’s too cabinetry and not furniture. Report
March 13, 20251 yr Author comment_353597 On 3/11/2025 at 1:36 PM, lew said: It looks kind of "Box Shaped" for my taste, but what do I know about style A while back, I got "conned" into making a cigar humidor. It started as a desk top designed but each design was rejected until it became a full fledged, upright, free stand cabinet. I had agreed to a trade of a pickup load of air dried walnut 4" x 16" x 10'. Still came out slightly ahead when finished. All this is said as a preface to these pictures This is a nice csbinet, but it reminds on the 70’s when everybody had a dresser top jewelry cabinet or a stand up jewelry cabinet from Taiwan… Report
March 13, 20251 yr comment_353626 55 minutes ago, BillyJack said: This is a nice csbinet, but it reminds on the 70’s when everybody had a dresser top jewelry cabinet or a stand up jewelry cabinet from Taiwan… It wasn't my first choice for the design. I spent about a month doing Sketchup plans for the guy. Each one was rejected and more elaborate in his demands. Sad part was that he never added the humidification system to keep the walnut at a consistent moisture level to which I had acclimated the stock. Report
March 13, 20251 yr Author comment_353627 My house is shaker and mission. This is the style I prefer. When I see something too fancy, it just doesn’t fit into my house., Report
March 13, 20251 yr comment_353628 Same here! Shaker is my preferred style. Functional, simplistic and proportionally correct. Report
March 13, 20251 yr Author comment_353630 I love shaker/mission but my weak spot is round poker tables.. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.