June 17, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_337449 A grand-daughter has requested an Inkle loom for her birthday. Working out details with her and her mom. I'd never heard of one before. Let the adventure begin! Report
June 17, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_337451 Yep, that's 2 of us that hasn't heard of them (until now). Report
June 17, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_337455 Yeah, Gramps, you got this! That's just a couple of hours. And most of that will be waiting for finish to dry. Report
June 18, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_337486 17 hours ago, kmealy said: Working out details with her and her mom. I'd never heard of one before. Let the adventure begin! Okay, let's think about the very first person that had a vision of all these threads strung around all those rods and said, "I can build that". The amazing fact is they did build it because we are looking at one! I get the popcorn! Report
June 18, 20242 yr Author Popular Post comment_337491 It turns out her older sister also does this weaving, so I asked if I should just make 2. She said that would save some arguments. Then she wondered if I could make a bunch of "kits" so they could hold a workshop with their friends. Can you say "escalation?" One of the current problems is that I am getting photos of a commercial one, and I found two plans online (as well as a bunch of photos). The online planes are from people who assume you just basically know what end of a screwdriver to hold and you'll get all the materials at Home Depot. Geez, just give me a measured drawing. I had to use an engineer's scale to go off the photo to get some of the critical dimensions. Report
June 18, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_337499 No good deed shall go unpunished! Go ahead and admit it. You were ecstatic when they asked for more. Report
July 23, 20242 yr Author Popular Post comment_339368 1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said: Love that lettering, how did you do that? One of my daughters has a Cricut. It's sort of a CNC that cuts special vinyl cutouts. Tough part was selecting among the 1100+ fonts. Kay is all uppercase so that we didn't have to worry about the descendant on the "y" in lower case. Miriam asked if I could burn in her name, but I haven't had a wood burner in 60+ years. Report
July 23, 20242 yr comment_339374 Keith, those are amazing and I am sure blow anything away on the market with that wood selection! Nice job grandpa!!!!! Report
July 23, 20242 yr comment_339375 Very cool Keith! But you've got me on how the heck do they work? Report
July 23, 20242 yr Author Popular Post comment_339376 As far as I've heard, the threads are raised and lowered by hand (as opposed to foot levers on a big loom). The shuttles are on the foreground. My grandkids are involved in a Finnish dance troop for youth. The males wear a vest with these straps as waistbands. The area they live in has a lot of Finnish heritage. There were some major copper mines there from the 1800s up to WWII and many of the miners came from Finland. Many of the streets have an English and Finnish street sign name. My two grandsons are the redheads in the center and granddaughters are at the 2 and 7 o'clock outer ring positions. Report
July 24, 20242 yr comment_339390 12 hours ago, kmealy said: My grandkids are involved in a Finnish dance troop for youth. Love this, absolutely awesome! Keeping the roots alive! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.