Gonna be a teacher this week end

Smallpatch

He lives in a wheel chair so I will be helping him design short tables for different machines to sit at his height in that chair.

The only thing he knows about woodworking came from the internet. I  told him I'm not too hot on you tube for I feel like like lots of those guys showing off or making a demo is an employee of a company employing him for their benefit and as far as knowing all about wood it don't show most of the time.. Like always this is only my observations but its okay for everyone else to have their own opinions. And besides, I'm not big enough to be a Dick Tator!

Well, he didn't show up. I gave zero's on the first test...

So I started without him and my phone quit working but did get this little Canon I use to use kinda working. The first few photos was very hard to see for the fog kept rolling in from somewhere but I kept pushing buttons and almost got it clear.

I starting without him yesterday and got most of the ruffing done today. Next few days will be more grinding to make all the edges match up.1169958881_IMG_2334newcarvingseptfourteenth.JPG.9b547713c03266847a2aa3a0724661b6.JPG

I used a thinner blade than on the last thing. That means slowing the speed down and reducing the tension some.....these blades can be pulled in two easier.

Hey Jess, I have followed your work before.  I've seen the burrs and such that you use on the dremel type tools and think I understand how you are carving the pattern.  I also think I understand the use of your small belt sander to round over the edges.  So, by what method or what is the technique to smooth out the carving after you are done with the burrs?

Cal most all the smoothing of the inside valleys are done with three or four bits. The ones with round bottoms. I cut the Dremel back to about #3 and use small circular motions. So its mostly ruby and sapphires and I do use the 217203 which is diamond but with 3/32" bits and the Dremel comes with different size mandrels

If you have a Wood Carvers Supply catalog the only set I bought in 2016 was 881004 , 150 grit and maybe should have bought the 881005 which is 100 grit and the diamond bits. Strange for the diamond bits I could use don't come one at a time except that last number

Page 8 shows the ruby and sapphire bits so I use #'s 217304,217308, 217310 and 217312 which are 3/32 size bits. These four bits with the one diamond bit is all I ever use. 

Amazing how the 1 x 42" belt sander with me applying pressure to the inside of the belt can get more done quicker than all the3 other machines.

The Saburr bits are for grinding all the inside valleys.  259401,259202,259462, 259363, 259393, 259395. These numbers are the green colors which are course  and then switch over to the diamond, ruby and sapphires.  

I did buy a couple of sets at first but there are still some of them that hasn't been used.

Yes , when I first started playing around with carving attempts I thought I needed the very course 1/8" bits but they will get you hurt real quick like on the bottom of page 10 of their catalog, like # 629529

The things I carve I have no need for those very very high speed carving machines that cost an arm and a leg. They might be to carve eggs but they would catch my maple on fire and I done smelled enough smoke way back yonder! 

This is the bit I use to smooth the inside curves of all my carving stuff.

1600469967_IMG_20220920_163352085smoothsandingdifference.jpg.b1a0042f6c93fecf6f7cb88564425da1.jpg

The bits are either 3/32 or 1/8" diameter shafts and the diamond, ruby and sapphires bits all look the same to me and over the years they get mixed up so I just use what ever I reach in and get and if it don't do the job like I want , replace it for another. The outside curves I use the triangled shaped pad on the Dremel multi max sander #6300 which probably been replaced by another number by now. It was bought when I was doing lots of remolding and is a life saver for that type of work with the little flat blades with the saw teeth on one end. Then one day I said to myself hey, I got another sander that might take a lot of the labor of hand sanding and shorten the time I spend on sanding. The triangle shaped pad lets me get into smaller places that the da's or random orbits and the larger flat electric sanders can get into..

I saved all the flat saw blades that were worn out and now I grind off the saw teeth and use stickit sand paper for those little flat areas  fingers can't get to.  

This picture shows me I need to do more sanding along the edges to take out more sanding marks and to straighten the edge lines which will make a world of difference of peoples acceptance to ones work.