July 25, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_295254 Today's curb find was a nice block of high density foam. This will last me for YEARS. A 3" x 3" x 1" piece and a pair of nitrile gloves is perfect for applying oil and spirit finishes to my treasures: 1] Wipe on with the grain overlapping a narrow wet edge. 2] Squeeze out excess finish from the "brush". 3] With oil finishes, a light back and forth across the entire surface to sop up over-applications and runs. The tight (open? closed?) cell foam - high density is usually black but I've seen blue - makes a nice brush. Report
July 26, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_295280 I never would a thunk, man, you sure see things many of us don't! Report
August 12, 20224 yr Author comment_296502 Take care in your foam. The latest find does break apart from spirit varnish during longer uses but is still okay for a quick wipe or three. The foam block before did not. Guess there are different types of foam. Don't judge a block by its color. Report
August 12, 20224 yr comment_296506 22 minutes ago, Woodman said: Take care in your foam. The latest find does break apart from spirit varnish during longer uses but is still okay for a quick wipe or three. I've found the same thing has happened with some store bought foam brushes. I had just chalked it up to them being old. Maybe it's really 'cause they have a cheap type of foam. Report
August 12, 20224 yr comment_296548 4 hours ago, Cal said: I've found the same thing has happened with some store bought foam brushes. I had just chalked it up to them being old. Maybe it's really 'cause they have a cheap type of foam. Most foam brushes have a disclaimer on the handle, something like, "Not for use with Lacquer or Shellac" Report
February 2Feb 2 comment_370296 I've bought a few from HD. When they are shot, I keep the handles with wee plastic paddle.Then I cut my own foam, fold over and use 3M spray adhesive.I've made them using open cell. Works like a charm. Report
February 10Feb 10 Author comment_370783 A while back I scavenged a 4' x 4" tapered slat cut off a beam of longleaf pine. ½" to ⅛" in thickness. Finally, as painting asserted itself over woodcrafts, I crosscut it into a number of palette blades. After paint dries on the edge, a few swipes with the little plane restores it to new.The black foam is okay with acrylic but spirit stain seems 6to dissolve it. Bet acetone would turn it to mush ☠️ Report
February 11Feb 11 comment_370849 At different rates for sure Foam brushes will dissolve in thinners, acetone and the like. But I never use foam brushes this way. Only for glue ups sometimes and water based paint. They have their place. Report
February 11Feb 11 comment_370854 I use them for shellac, for small projects only. If put in fridge I usually get 2 maybe 3 uses before they begin to disintegrate.Usually get 50 at a time. Like @MrRick I save the handles but I use them as dowels. Report
February 11Feb 11 comment_370855 Gunny...I use them with shellac as well. They do a nice job over small surface areas. However I usually French polish with shellac. Report
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.