May 18, 20215 yr comment_265728 My garage doors set in a recess that's maybe 1" below the floor grade. I guess it's to keep rain from washing under the door (?, works great for that). Anyway, someone asked me what's it's called and I have no idea. Anyone know the common name? Report
May 18, 20215 yr comment_265747 Doorway to garage? Concrete. Weather strip. Door jamb. Transition. Edited May 18, 20215 yr by kmealy Report
May 18, 20215 yr Author Popular Post comment_265750 Maybe it doesn't have a name. On another site someone said they call it "recessed overhead door door sill" which is certainly a complete description, but isn't exactly all that handy. Anyway, the person that asked me what it's called is building a house and asked the builder to include this feature. When they described it the builder looked at them like they were nuts (so I'm told). Guess he'll have to stop over and take a look at ours. Report
May 19, 20215 yr Author Popular Post comment_265779 It has it's downsides. While it does keep out the rain, rolling things in/out of the garage can be a real problem. A time or 2 we've had some heavy rain in the winter months which made the recess wet, and then it froze to the door seal. But overall I like it, especially since the garage floor concrete has that extra slick finish and once it's wet it's like walking on ice. Report
May 19, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_265809 I've heard it called something by an elderly gentleman who tripped over it frequently, but I'm not allowed to post that word here! Report
May 20, 20215 yr comment_265824 7 hours ago, HARO50 said: I've heard it called something by an elderly gentleman who tripped over it frequently, but I'm not allowed to post that word here! Maybe we could guess. Did he say ?????????????????????????????? Report
May 20, 20215 yr comment_265848 10 hours ago, HandyDan said: Maybe we could guess. Did he say ?????????????????????????????? Among other things! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.