A Two-Tone Finish? (Mahogany and Poplar)

ehbowen

So I work at a large and rather fancy hotel, in the maintenance department (I'm a boiler operator by trade). We use a lot of wood trim, enough to where we have a small carpenter's shop. I mentioned to our lead carpenter that I'm getting started in woodworking, and he offered me a box of scrap odds and ends that he was getting ready to throw out...mostly 1x4 mahogany, and 1/4" thick poplar strips. No piece is longer than about 18" or so, but they're about the right size to make keepsake picture frames for 5x7 or 8x10 photos.

I was thinking that what might work well would be to use the mahogany for the base of the picture frame, and then glue a strip of poplar into it as an accent. My question is about finishing; I'd like for the mahogany to be dark and the poplar to be light. Would it be best to finish them separately and then glue the accent strip in once completed, or is there a way to finish the colors separately and make it look good?

I think your idea of separate finishing and then assembly is the best way to approach this, especially since you want the colors to be different.

If you are just adding a clear finish, which will tend to darken the Mahogany but do little to the Poplar, then you could probably assemble first and then clear coat.

Making test pieces for the color changes would be a good idea, if you have enough scraps.

I like Gene's plan.   You do not need to apply a clear coat before assembly, just a stain (if that was your plan for the mahogany).  

Glue does not work well on finished surfaces, so mask off those areas.  And the idea of a water-based stain (for example, Transtint dyes) is a good idea.

You might also consider making some boxes of those pieces -- there are myriad types, styles, and sizes of boxes that you can make.  I've made everything from 2"x3" to 14"x22" boxes.  If you want to get into turning, there are others here that can advise you on that (just not me)

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

That'll make a nice looking frame. To keep the poplar's light color, use a waterbased clear finish.  If you need to darken the mahogany, you might consider a waterbased stain before glueing. 

The general plan was to cut and miter the mahogany for the frame, then dado or route a groove in it for the poplar. If I understand you correctly, I should first make sure everything fits, glue the mahogany perimeter together (possibly using splines), then mask the groove with masking tape and apply a dark stain to the mahogany. After it dries, remove the mask and glue in the poplar. Could I then apply that clear coat finish to the entire completed frame, or would it be better to coat the poplar before gluing it in place?

I would cut the groove for the poplar, dry fit the poplar to insure it's level with the mahogany. Then stain the mahogany with the water based stain.  Then, glue in the poplar. Miter it after the poplar glue dries. Saves masking off the poplar and risking seepage onto the poplar.