Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
AndrewB

Wen 3401 5.7 -Amp 66 CFM Dustollector with 12 gallon bag

Rate this topic

I've been browsing around for dust collection systems.  My little shop vac just isnt powerful enough.  Now that I've been getting pretty heavy into turning bowls and what not, I need something that will quickly pick up the dust.  I can't really spend a ton of money on a dust collection system how ever I was looking at the Wen.  Its not a huge one but then again I only have a small shop space so I don't need a huge dust  collection system.  Just something to vacume up the sawdust and wood shavings.  Lately I've just been sweeping up the mess but that hasn't gotten everything.  I'm wondering if this would be a long run worth while investment.  I know I've needed one for a while.  Here is the link to the product.  I've also added the hose to the list and the adapter for the fan.  All together it would cost me about 150 bucks or so. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9YHZ87/?coliid=ILMKORSZQ3389&colid=JHVHTKURXUVA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by AndrewB

That will work for sanding but if you are thinking about chip collection it probably won't be powerful enough. In addition, for chip olooection, you'll probably need to build some sort of chip collector device.

https://thepatriotwoodworker.com/forums/topic/23532-new-dc-rig-for-lathe/?tab=comments#comment-162319

https://thepatriotwoodworker.com/forums/topic/17452-shoe-me-your-lathe-router-dc-solutions-pls/?do=findComment&comment=71076

I remember @cliff showed us his complete setup but I can't find it now.

Dust collection is the primary and very little chips from a lathe are collected. there is just not a efficient system for that . Unless it has more than one port and allows some sort of large funnel.

As to that unit it looks like it has a low rating. Look at Grizzly for a lot more options. Now as to do you need dust collection ===positively. Just don't expect too much at the lathe. Very good for sanding dust at lathe by the way.

Very true how ever I learned a lesson through harbor freight to never order anything from them online.  So I may have to find something similar to that online thats artpund the same price.  The other main issue I have currently is I only have 110 v in my shed no 240v.

Edited by AndrewB

12 hours ago, AndrewB said:

The other main issue I have currently is I only have 110 v in my shed no 240v.

You mentioned your brother is a electrician.  Make him a bowl or two in exchange for this service. 

12 hours ago, AndrewB said:

So I may have to find something similar to that online thats artpund the same price.

As much as you might hate it Craigslist is your friend here.

Found this GEM for $80.  You cannot beat that unless it is free, and the condition this unit in was excellent.

1726683017_WENDrillPress(2).jpg.43345f5e9c0aa17f2f59acfc439c2db1.jpg

My DC system was FREE, compressor next to it also free. As in the guy needed it stored, 20 years ago. :D DC required simple rebuild with new gaskets and some paint. Compressor, changed the oil, filter and a new belt.

376986312_DCandCompressor.JPG.f3f6b31e542e31e5b7a3c12216249122.JPG

Air filtration unit, a WEN was a gift from a friend after I fixed his truck.

IMG_20161215_193419776_HDR.jpg.946eea491fb02fd1cb04e805a7388241.jpg

Or go for the money and use your new toys to produce things that sell with quick return.  While I generally do not do such work I do currently have 12 lazy susans to make for the Police Department.  Got those after he bragged about his cabinet and his new lazy susan I gave him for house warming gift.  Those are going for $125 each.  If I let it continue I would be buried in work.  

Lots of options, think outside the box and less on the cash money.

My 2 cents worth.