Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

So, a couple of months ago I had a vitreous detachment in my right eye. No major complications, so I've been alert for any changes.

Last Thursday at 11:55 am I had a hemorrhage in the eye.

Went to my eye doctor for a check at 1 pm, called my primary provider at 2 pm (torn retina), They started work on getting me to a local eye center for laser surgery. I already had an appointment (semi annual checkup) for Friday at 10:00 am. When I told them it was critical to have surgery within 24 hrs of the tear (eye doctors words). They got me an appointment with a local eye center at 2 pm. Made it to  the appointment, had the surgery, am now recovering. Vision is still cloudy from the blood inside the eye, should take 3-5 months for it to reabsorb.

I hear a lot of complaints about the VA (there are times I want to hang the lot of them), but when they do good I want to give kudos.

This year has been a real roller coaster, Surgery in March, two trips to the ER in realation to the surgery, 3 days in the hospital after going septic from an abcess due to surgery,

brother getting major neck surgery (c-2 to T-1 degenerative bone disease), sister passed away last week (congestive heart failure 64 years old), and now my eye, can this year just be over, please.

1 hour ago, Ron Dudelston said:

Herb, I detached the retina in the left eye in 2003.  Did the face down thing for 20 days but the retina detached again and they filled it with oil to stabilize it.  Lost the vision but have adapted.

Bummer, Ron, mine was 1/2 down from the top, which is really 1/2 up from the bottom. during the operation, they filled it with argon gas and it filled back with fluid what looked like the top down, but in reality it was from the bottom up, then had bubbles of gas floating around for about a week.

Herb

58 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Bummer, Ron, mine was 1/2 down from the top, which is really 1/2 up from the bottom. during the operation, they filled it with argon gas and it filled back with fluid what looked like the top down, but in reality it was from the bottom up, then had bubbles of gas floating around for about a week.

Herb

My surgeon had a horrible cold the day he did my surgery and I think it impacted his ability to repair.  Mine was detached on the inside of the left eye.  The surgery left my left pupil dilated all the time.  Oddly, I have a friend that had the same doctor and same problem.  Same end result.

12 hours ago, Dadio said:

I had the retina reattachment surgery in 2012. Did you have to go through the face down 24/7 for 10 day? What a miserable experience, but glad I got my sight back.

Herb

Not yet. I had a vitreous detachment, the tear is related. The Docs tell me the left will detach at some time as well. If it happens before the right eye clears up, I'm screwed. Hopefully it will wait.

I am not clear either, the DR. had no definite answer. He just told me that if I ever see just a small spot of black in my vision, to rush right in and get it looked at. The sooner they can assess the damage and repair the better.

There is a history of glaucoma in my family and I am supposed to go twice a year to have my pressures checked,too.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

14 hours ago, Cal said:

Wichman, hope things turn around for you.  My 2018 was similar, thankfully it did stop...

For you folks that have had a detached retina, what causes this?  I am not familiar with it at all.

Cal, my vitreous detachment is age related; 75% of those who reach 65 will have this happen. Hopefully the detachment does not cause a tear.