Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
hatuffej

Native People Veterans

Rate this topic

During my 6 years of service, I served with several Native Americans. It's great that we now have a monument in DC to honor their service. Having worked with several different southwestern tribal members over the last 30 years, I'm not sure how those humble and unassuming people would feel about such an honor. Those I knew would undoubtedly be appreciative and proud but, those feelings would be held deep inside. 

I had the honor to meet two of the Navajo Code Talkers and, they talked about their war time experiences as if they were just a normal and expected part of their lives. 

Edited by Gene Howe

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

... I'm not sure how those humble and unassuming people would feel about such an honor. Those I knew would undoubtedly be appreciative and proud but, those feelings would be held deep inside. 

Hello Gene

You are correct. Native People today want to live and succeed in the modern world, but they keep their history alive, painful as it is. Some will talk with me about it. Some want simple recognition of their identity. I am always respectful. I go to the Bear River Massacre memorial service every year in January, and there are always a lot of veterans in attendance, many of them combat vets. Same with Native Hawai'ians. Everyone knows we can't undo history but we all can respect each other for our shared service, and that's what I try to do. :TwoThumbsUp:

hat

Around here in Northern AZ, some of the Native Americans, chiefly Navajo, Hopi, Zuni and Apache, are becoming what they call urbanized. Especially those on the edges of their reservations, close to towns and cities. But, you need not venture far into their homelands to meet the majority who steadfastly maintain their traditional ways.