Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

oldwoodie

Drill press as tap tool

Rate this topic

I get what you are saying.  I have multiples of some tools and find an advantage in that.  I also use the lathe for starting taps.  Works well for drilling and tapping down the center of things that can be chucked in the lathe.

7 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

I am sure someone has made the attempt.  Now a video would be priceless...:JawDrop:

I’m that guy.  When I was still working and had multiple holes to tap, I’d ratchet the speed way down and lightly tighten the tap in the chuck.  That way, the chuck would slip rather than break the tap.  If you play it right, the tap will self feed and draw itself in.  Of course, you just bump the power on.  Bridgeport mill works well also.

13 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

I’d ratchet the speed way down

This is the step many would ignore, and go full speed.  Then the trip to the ER and explaining what happened to the wife.:BangingHead:

On a side note DO NOT EVER use the drill press as a paint stirrer.  Neighbor thought this was good idea.  Paint is still splattered all over his garage. 

That was 8 years ago I believe. :JawDrop:

On the assembly lines at Honda around here...the Team  Leaders always have a special  tap in their pocket....made to fit the air-powered drills used to drive the bolts and screws....in case there was a "bad" hole alignment....then the assembler would switch out the nut driver tip for the tap, "run the hole" replace with a nut driver again, and drive the bolt home.  And hand the tap back to the TL...until needed..

This spring-loaded guide fits into the center machined in the top of a tap wrench, follows the tap down as it cuts and keeps it straight Spring-Loaded Tap Guide - with the chuck centered over the hole and the guide clamped in the chuck, set the

tap into the hole and lower the chuck until the point is compressed. As you turn the tap, the point keeps the tap aligned with the hole.

Or, you could go with something like this V-Tap Guide

IMG_2579.JPG