June 3, 20197 yr comment_192397 I have a metal patio cover and when it rains or even an occasional hail storm and it makes a lot of noise. Has anyone used anything to quiet the noise down? Preston Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192416 Nothing comes to mind. My Dad had his shop with a metal roof for a number of years. We got rid of that and went with a traditional roof. Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192421 Preston, my wife's home in Panama, had a coating on their corrugated metal roof, the rain in Central America was incredible, still is for sure, I just aint there to hear it anymore,. But the noise was bearable, and I remember her dad (may God rest his soul) showed me a can of corrugated roof coating that had noise dampening properties to it, and many of the Panamanian households used it, I'll do some research. Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192435 What about using styrofoam or insulation foam under the metal? Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192449 Having grown up on a dairy farm - big barn & metal roof, the sounds of rain on that roof was always (most always) the sounds to relax to. If it was in the early afternoon, maybe even a quick nap. How great is that? Not so relaxing if it was milking time, but the rest of the day meant it was sort of down time... It might be too late to simply adjust your thinking about it Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192452 What about a polymer roof coating applied to the underside. They do make sound deadening coatings, think of stainless steel sinks. I would think any thick pliable coating would reduce the noise but don't know by how much and be worth the cost. Roly Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192462 1 hour ago, Cal said: the sounds of rain on that roof was always (most always) the sounds to relax to That was my original thought, also. Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192469 When I read your post yesterday I chose not to comment for I have a metal covered deck on two sides of my house. My barn and garage are metal covered and all the metal is exposed on the bottom sides and we have never even thought of the rain being too loud.. But we might average 20 inches of rain a year so we actually enjoy that sound... So now being retired when I hear the rain on the roof I sigh and think oh good I don't have to go out and mow today. So my advise to you Preston is to go play with that scroll saw when its raining and enjoy life and smile at the sound of rain. Report
June 4, 20197 yr Author comment_192474 What I'm really trying to do is at 3AM is sleeping. A small hail storm sounds like a dump truck full of marbles. When I was younger I slept next to a 200 HP pump that supplied sprinkler water to potatoes. The idea being when the pump went down and shut off we would wake up and fix the problem. It took a week to go to sleep with that noisy pump, but when you get tired and used to it we slept. I like the idea off paint or rolling something on to hush things up. Preston Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192476 Look into something like the stuff they line pickup beds with. Report
June 4, 20197 yr comment_192479 7 hours ago, Cal said: Having grown up on a dairy farm - big barn & metal roof, the sounds of rain on that roof was always (most always) the sounds to relax to. If it was in the early afternoon, maybe even a quick nap. How great is that? Not so relaxing if it was milking time, but the rest of the day meant it was sort of down time... It might be too late to simply adjust your thinking about it Cal, I well remember that sound of rain on the barns and chicken houses. When I was about 1st grade, we lived in a house with a tin roof and that wind moving the metal was scary. But, you are right, that sound of rain without the wind was relaxing. Report
June 12, 20197 yr comment_193198 On 6/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, Woodbutcherbynight said: Nothing comes to mind. My Dad had his shop with a metal roof for a number of years. We got rid of that and went with a traditional roof. Traditional roof - So slate then? Report
June 12, 20197 yr comment_193199 It will be a lot of work but here goes my idea. Above the Joists and below the metal (yes you have to remove the roof) install 1" rigid foam so that the roof is in intiment contact with the insulation and the insulation is tied to the joists. If you have a not so even roof think about using spray foam in the depressions then trim them flush so that you have an even surface for the the instulation to bond to. I would glue the foam to the metal then screw thru the roof insulation and into the joists. Or go with headphones or accamulate yourself to the sound. Report
June 12, 20197 yr comment_193202 Preston, a metal roof coating will help greatly, I have been looking at metal roof coatings and all of them seem to reduce sound significantly. I know the noise you are talking about, if you're near that roof you can't even hear the other guy talk, and to try to sleep with that nearby is virtually impossible. I love rain on the roof too, but the sound Preston is talking about is way beyond enjoyable. Like I said my in-laws in Central America (Panama) use a roof coating for their home, they live under a corrugate metal roof, so if it works down there, it'll work up here. The rains they get daily are torrential downpours that last hours. I stayed in their home for months overall, in all seasons, and I can sit next to someone on the sofa, and carry on a conversation with a normal level of voice. I could also sleep during their downpours. I have also visited and slept in homes of the less fortunate in Panama, and their roofs are not coated, and it's deafening. So I have some comparison. Here is a little video showing a test of the sound deadening capacity of Nuxodal. The video is silent at first, so have some patience. You'll see two boxes, both with vibration noise devices installed into two enclosed boxes. One coated with Noxudol, and the other without. I hope this helps a little Preston. Report
April 30, 20206 yr comment_227097 I used the infamous flexseal! My metal roof in my patio went from deafening to kind of laud. Like 85% sound reduction, plus it doesn't too metallic now. I used two gallons. And it is also slightly cooler in there with the roof being white. Very satisfied. Report
November 28, 20223 yr comment_303148 Our metal patio cover sits under a huge oak tree. In the fall, when the acorns fall, it sounds like machine gun fire. Dreadfully loud and embarrassing because surely the neighbors can hear it too. thanks for suggesting the products. We may have to try them. Report
November 30, 20223 yr comment_303227 On 11/28/2022 at 9:35 AM, Jen said: Our metal patio cover sits under a huge oak tree. In the fall, when the acorns fall, it sounds like machine gun fire. Dreadfully loud and embarrassing because surely the neighbors can hear it too. thanks for suggesting the products. We may have to try them. Jen I just clicked on those product and the websites are dead, so I removed the links, but it appears Nuxodal as shown in the video is still available, just google it and you'll find it. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.