Smallpatch

Next important tool or jig...

Rate this topic

Yep, got mine from my Dad. One just like Jess's.

I remember drooling over them at the hardware stores but just couldn't bring myself to spend the $$'s.

I just used my old cheap compass (think it came from G.C. Murphy or maybe F.W. Woolworth) from elementary school which I still have to scribe along on a piece of paper or cardboard, then cut out the pattern. Course Patch with all that cheap Texas oil & gas you probably had a little more pocket money to make an extra trip or two to the Hardware. I had to wait for grocery shopping day.

43 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I remember drooling over them at the hardware stores but just couldn't bring myself to spend the $$'s.

HF has them, $4.99  :JawDrop:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-contour-gauge-907.html

13march4.jpg.0076fb3a2c34aa0c5bbb052cface0f15.jpg

My BIL gave me one that came from Sears. Rweally do not use it now in Turning but will have to try at Lew's suggestion

This is taken from my website, "Building Han's Wegner's The Chair":  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/TheChairCoping.html

The first step is to trace the intersecting curve at the leg with a contour gauge.

TheChairCoping_html_m20692ba3.jpg

This is copied onto the stretcher …

TheChairCoping_html_26964b55.jpg

TheChairCoping_html_1c4c6b45.jpg

The coped end of the tenon is chiseled out with a gouge. I only have a couple of crank necked gouges, rather than the preferred straight gouge, but the largest is a close match for the curve of the leg. The curve still needs to be nibbled away.

TheChairCoping_html_m2bbe64ff.jpg

By far the most useful chisel for this process was a 1/8” bevel edge bench chisel. It was used to help remove the waste from the end (below), and along the shoulder (see later).

TheChairCoping_html_m55ba5e58.jpg

The next step is to deepen the tenon with a tenon saw and then remove some of the waste in a diagonal cut against the tenon cheek.

TheChairCoping_html_m207aca0d.jpg

The coped ends must be left unmodified, however the waste along the cheek can be removed a little deeper than the coped ends. The 1/8” chisel made quick work of this.

TheChairCoping_html_6169a281.jpg

TheChairCoping_html_m58518893.jpg

The outer edge of the shoulder must be pared to a low angle so the join between the stretcher and leg is minimized …

TheChairCoping_html_m26ae2726.jpg

TheChairCoping_html_m3f0b5e28.jpg

The completed task …

TheChairCoping_html_35515e88.jpg

And how it worked out …

TheChairCoping_html_m51e1fa3c.jpg

TheChairCoping_html_2df53f1e.jpg

TheChairEndofPhaseOne_html_4d94d327.jpg

The full build is here (scroll down):  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

Regards from Perth

Derek